Eight Display?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by tallguy, Jun 24, 2008.

1. tallguy macrumors regular

Does anyone here have eight displays or anything over two? Eight just seems like overkill to me. Of course if I had that kind of money I would do it :)

2. Mackilroy macrumors 68040

Mackilroy

(technically) I have only two displays, but I can also hook up to my TV and we have an older monitor lying around, so it'd be possible for me to run four screens simultaneously. Never done more than three, though.

3. fluidedge macrumors 65816

fluidedge

financial people might well have 4 or 5 screens going at any one time. A shop might want 6 or 8 screens for a shop window display or something.

I think 2 is more than enough for 99% of people.

4. ChemiosMurphy macrumors 6502

I just ordered a third panel to mainly use as an editing reference monitor (with MXO).

But I agree for general use anything more than 2 is overkill. Having stuff launch every which way in finder would be a pain and constantly swiveling your head would hurt. Just my .02

Most importantly, how would you fit eight monitors on a desk?

5. Firefly2002 macrumors 65816

I thought most people ran at least 10 displays these days.....

[​IMG]

6. tallguy thread starter macrumors regular

I like all the wires :eek: . Looks fun to use

7. Firefly2002 macrumors 65816

Lol, I love how you can't even tell there's a motherboard under all those graphics cards. Ridiculous.

8. iTronz macrumors member

I have ran 3 screens at once before, I just run two now. It is more than enough, especially when you have spaces as your disposal too when using Leopard :).

9. MacsRgr8 macrumors 604

MacsRgr8

How un-Mac that is...! :eek:

But I would love all these 30" ACD's!!!

Attached Files:

10. rhyx macrumors 6502

I currently run six 24" panels at work off my Mac Pro which has 3 of the standard ATI cards in it.

11. tallguy thread starter macrumors regular

Ya your right I just started using spaces and it's it a lot more productive than just minimizing everything.

12. xraydoc macrumors demi-god

xraydoc

I have 3 displays on my 2.66GHz Mac Pro: one 30" Apple Cinema and two 20" Dell 2001FP, one on either side of the 30".

The 30" runs off an nVidia 8800GT in the 16x PCIe slot and the aux displays run off an nVidia 7300GT in slot 4 (configured to 8x).

As several of you know, I'm a radiologist and I will often need to view cases (CT, MR, ultrasound, digital radiography) from home. I reboot in to Windows and power up the two Dell displays. The PACS software we use, Philips/Stentor iSite, makes use of 4 displays - and by happenstance it treats the 30" Cinema as two independent 1200 x 1600 portrait displays... essentially the 30" divided right down the middle.

This mirrors quite well the dedicated diagnostic workstations we have at the hospital, which uses two 21.3" LCD greyscale portrait FDA-approved 3MP (1536 x 2048) displays as the two center diagnostic-grade monitors (and 19" HPs for the two side non-diagnostic displays). The 1200 x 1600 images provided by each half of the Apple 30" cinema, with a properly calibrated color profile, come remarkably close in quality to the medical-grade displays.

So, at home, the left-hand side Dell displays the work lists and other text data, the 30" Cinema in the center acts as two independent displays for the images, and the Dell on the right-hand side acts as a display for the dictation system, 3D reference images, and any other windows I might happen to need up at the time.

When I'm running my machine in OS X, which is most of the time, the two side displays are off and disconnected (so I don't end up with windows trying to open on the powered off screens).

13. faumble macrumors regular

xraydoc, or anyone with the 8800gt, could you please tell me at what temperature are your video cards running at? Thanks:)

14. FF_productions macrumors 68030

FF_productions

Obviously I wouldn't know how it would operate temp wise, but Apple does let you order up to 4 GFX cards (8-Displays) straight from the online store (4x7300 Gts/now 4x2600's).

15. faumble macrumors regular

thanks, but I meant the 8800, its because am concerned about mine which is running at 52 Celcius, was wondering if its normal?
    thanks again

16. Malfoy macrumors 6502a

Malfoy

I used to run 3 21" trinitrons but now I settle with 2 30" ACDs.

17. xraydoc macrumors demi-god

xraydoc

Not sure. None of the utilities I have for OS X give me the temp of the video card. I'll have to boot in to Windows to do it, though not sure that will give you an accurate idea of how it'll operate in MacOS X.

However, I have the two video cards (8800GT and 7300GT), 8 FB-DIMMs and 4 hard drives in the machine. I run smcFanControl and bump the all the fans to 1300 RPM. Keeps things quite happy and don't really add that much more noise.

18. faumble macrumors regular

thanks very much xray doc! if am not wrong (just posted a thread askiing) the video card temp on istat is the one from power supply 1 and the one for the second card is from power supply 2
    got a quick question, have you nnoticed any cons when bumping up the fans speed?
    thanks again

19. xraydoc macrumors demi-god

xraydoc

No cons (other than slight increase in fan noise, obviously). But even when all 4 cores are cranking away at something at 400%, CPU temps never get above 40°C. Right now at idle they're running 26°C.