Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

MF878

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 12, 2011
Auckland, New Zealand
Not a good sign for those of us who hoped that the M4 generation might boldly venture to at least 12GB. When will it end?

Attachments

• IMG_0560.jpeg
    IMG_0560.jpeg
    141 KB · Views: 91
Reactions: Ruftzooi

kiranmk2

macrumors 68000
Oct 4, 2008
If it is true that the iPhone 17 Pro models will have 12GB, it is disheartening to have the iPad Pros only be 8GB.
Why? The next iPad Pro will likely launch at a similar time to the iPhone 17 Pro (Autumn 2025) so what better time to bump the RAM on both devices/chips?

Reactions: klasma and JPack

CWallace

macrumors G5
Aug 17, 2007
Seattle, WA
Why? The next iPad Pro will likely launch at a similar time to the iPhone 17 Pro (Autumn 2025) so what better time to bump the RAM on both devices/chips?

Apple is said to be bumping the memory on the iPhone to support AI, which thrives on more memory. So a 12GB base would arguably be better for AI on the iPad Pro than 8GB. But the 1TB/2TB models offer 16GB so they will probably be the preferred model for those doing more AI-focused work on an iPad Pro.

Dammit Cubs

macrumors 68020
Jul 31, 2007
Apple is said to be bumping the memory on the iPhone to support AI, which thrives on more memory. So a 12GB base would arguably be better for AI on the iPad Pro than 8GB. But the 1TB/2TB models offer 16GB so they will probably be the preferred model for those doing more AI-focused work on an iPad Pro.
I'm assuming the 16GB memory upgrade is purely to support the larger memory as a cache during larger write operations to the memory. If you notice on smartphones, when they increase capacity, they would increase the RAM. I could be wrong here.

JPack

macrumors G5
Mar 27, 2017
If it is true that the iPhone 17 Pro models will have 12GB, it is disheartening to have the iPad Pros only be 8GB.

Not really fair to compare with an iPhone that's 18 months out. The iPhone 16 is expected to carry 8GB.

This first gen of AI products from Cupertino is probably tame because the Apple software will take a couple years to catch up.

JPack

macrumors G5
Mar 27, 2017
I'm assuming the 16GB memory upgrade is purely to support the larger memory as a cache during larger write operations to the memory. If you notice on smartphones, when they increase capacity, they would increase the RAM. I could be wrong here.

Doesn't work that way. Compare maxed out storage configs for recent devices:

iPhone 13 Pro 1TB has the same 6GB RAM as iPhone 12 Pro 512GB.
iPad Air M1 256GB has the same 8GB RAM as iPad Air M2 1TB.

daneoni

macrumors G4
Mar 24, 2006
Its an iPad so i wouldn't extrapolate to Macs based on that. Base storage was increased which is a good sign itself.

And you can get 16gb in the upper SKUs

Reactions: tarsins

dmccloud

macrumors 68030
Sep 7, 2009
Anchorage, AK
*sigh* I didn’t think it needed explaining but here we are:

Because there will be Macs with M4 later this year, and the biggest criticism of the M3 lineup is that it still starts with 8GB.

1. Only a certain subset of Mac users complain about 8GB as the starting point for RAM.

2. Since when are iPad configurations directly tied to subsequent Mac configurations?

Reactions: meetree and tarsins

MF878

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 12, 2011
Auckland, New Zealand
1. Only a certain subset of Mac users complain about 8GB as the starting point for RAM.

2. Since when are iPad configurations directly tied to subsequent Mac configurations?
1. It’s a growing subset. In 2020 with the first M1, it was only really an issue for people who wouldn’t buy base MacBook Airs anyway. In 2024, it has become a larger controversy with products like the $1599 M3 MBP which is bordering on unacceptable in the current landscape.

2. Apple doesn’t produce different variants of their chips for different devices. Producing a special 8GB variant of the M4 for the 256GB/512GB iPad Pro models and not using it in any Macs would break that precedent. It’s certainly possible, but unlikely given their history.

Reactions: Digitalguy

fakestrawberryflavor

macrumors 6502
May 24, 2021
I have no idea why people complain about this. You are free to purchase way more memory than 8Gb. It’s not like 8 is the maximum.

Sure, you have to spend more money. You’re already buying the most premium product from the most premium computer company.. let’s not complain about the upgrade costs. Get what you need when you need it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.