Eight people purchase "I am Rich"

Discussion in 'iOS Apps' started by MacGeek7, Aug 7, 2008.

1. MacGeek7 macrumors 6502a

MacGeek7

Here's the link to the story http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/technology/2008/08/iphone-i-am-ric.html

The developer made $5,600 from those 8 purchases...

2. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

8 People Bought $999.99 'I am Rich' App

[​IMG]

LA Times reports that eight individuals bought the $999.99 I am Rich application from the App Store before it was pulled off the store.

The developer states he does not know why Apple removed the application
    According to Heinrich, six people in the U.S., one from Germany and one from France bought the $999.99 application. This brought Heinrich $5600 in net revenue.

Article Link

3. Mudbug Administrator emeritus

Mudbug

4. swb1192 macrumors 6502

I'm 99.99% sure that when he called the App "I am Rich," he was referring to himself! (He earned $5600 for... what? Downloading the SDK?)

5. HaroldC macrumors regular

it never ceases to amaze me how many idiots there are out there......

6. tonyeck macrumors 6502

tonyeck

Haha, I wonder how many were like, "oh look at this funny app for $999.99... oh crap I pressed the buy button"

7. Superdrive macrumors 6502a

Superdrive

I don't care who you are....

That's funny right there.

8. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Can't wait for "I Am Rich 2" with improved artwork featuring Steve the Bobblehead, with realistic sounds and head movement using the accelerometers.

9. CP1091 macrumors regular

CP1091

The developer was smart. Talk about making a quick 6 grand..

10. xix macrumors member

Apparently, there are eight.

11. rstone3 macrumors member

I'll bet you are right and that's why it was pulled - 6 out of the 8 were trying to impress their girlfriends and accidently bought it. I'll bet the developer won't make very much after all.

12. tothelimit macrumors regular

tothelimit

its funny you say that.. i read a thread earlier today from a guy who said he did EXACTLY that. he said he saw it on there and thought it was some sort of joke so he clicked it. turned out he had 1 click buy turned on and was stuck with it. he was asking for advice on contacting apple about a refund/charge back.

13. WillJS macrumors 65816

WillJS

14. DreamPod macrumors 65816

Why wouldn't the developer make any money? 8 people bought it, end of story. There are no returns with the App Store, no saying "I accidentally bought it" and getting your money back. Otherwise people would buy Monkeyball, play it a few days until they were tired of it, and then demand their money back.

Not to mention, I dunno about anyone else, but when *I* buy something from the store, either on the device or in iTunes, it asks me for my password. *And* it asks if I'm sure I want to make the purchase.

15. pianoplayer1 macrumors 6502

pianoplayer1

Thats exactly what people do - the only disadvantage is that you don't get updates. I did that for crash since its a bit laggy. I just complained that the shopping cart doesn't work.

16. godfreyhk macrumors member

Hey even if it's just $100 he already get his membership for free :eek:

I wondered why I didn't think of that before... I thought about writing some kind of apps for iphone but then I figured I'd have to learn objective-c first. But then.. I am pretty sure this app is just drag-and-drop in xcode... should have done that :(

17. bigm978 macrumors member

it was probobly a little kid on there parents account and their parents credit card who thought it would be cool and at the end of the month when they get the bill they are gonna be upset:D

18. nanofrog macrumors G4

Well, it's only artwork. $5600 for a few hours work? Likely 'Not Bad', from his POV. :eek:
    Those that bought it might check out their next purchase more carefully. ;) :p

19. ayasin macrumors 6502

Thats exactly what people do who lack morals. Fixed that for you. They have a word for lying to get money/stuff.

20. ayasin macrumors 6502

I say let him keep the money. These people knew exactly what they were getting, no one was tricked into buying it. Yes it's a retarded app and it should be called "I'm a jackass" but he didn't lie in his description or violate the terms of the SDK.

21. Daiden macrumors 6502a

Daiden

Honestly, if those people are stupid enough to give their money away, then they don't deserve to have it. Good job to the developer for taking advantage of the stupid among us out there.

22. deannnnn macrumors 68000

deannnnn

Lol that is absolutely incredible.

Somebody should make a free 'I Am Rich' ripoff app and really piss off the 8 people that bought the real one.

23. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

Let's see, the app:
    • Was clearly listed.
    • Did not violate any rules.
    • was purchased by 8 individuals.

Why is it still not listed on the app store like this?

Attached Files:

24. TimJim macrumors 6502a

I think we're all jealous. The developer is a genius, and Apple is wrong for pulling it.

25. Iggy macrumors regular