Eikon Digital Privacy Manager

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by HiFiGuy528, Aug 13, 2008.

1. HiFiGuy528 macrumors 68000

HiFiGuy528

Saw this and read the many great reviews. Seems to be the only one that works well with Mac. Anyone here has it or used it?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Product Features
    Log on to your computer with the swipe of your finger
    Switch user accounts easily and securely
    For PC users, use the password bank feature to remember all your online usernames and passwords
    For Mac users, conveniently access online accounts by unlocking the power of Keychain

2. Tigercat212 macrumors regular

Me too...

I was thinking of purchasing this. Does anybody on these have this? A review would be nice.

3. Cathoir macrumors newbie

4. Tigercat212 macrumors regular

A few questions...

Cathoir, thanks for the links. If you don't mind, can I ask you a few questions about your experience with the scanner?

1. Is there a fairly easy leaning curve or does it take a while to learn?
    2. Can you set it so it automatically enters different passwords for different websites?
    3. Would you recommend using a long password when you have the scanner because you do not have to actually enter the password?
    4. Can you set your own preferences so you only have it scan for a fingerprint when you log into OSX and not when the system wakes up?
    5. Is it a sturdy device? Does it break easily?

Thanks for your time Cathoir!

Tigercat212

5. Tigercat212 macrumors regular

Conflicting Reviews...

I have been looking on many websites for reviews/impressions on the Eikon Fingerprint Scanner and how it performs with Macs. I am thinking of buying it from Amazon but I have looked at the reviews and now I am a bit worried that I will buy it and it will not work properly. There are 5 star reviews such as this one:

"Finally!!! A bulletproof fingerprint reader for the Mac!!!

I've always envied my PC friends when it comes to biometric options... until I got my Eikon.

Now, whenever the authentication screen on the Mac pops up, I get Eikon's fingerprint auth screen instead and I can just swipe my finger and go on my merry way. Their programmers also adopted the Mac minimalist ethic and implemented the Protector Suite consistent with the Mac "it just works!" experience.

They've been also very proactive and have continued updating their Mac software solution. v1.2 just came out June 25, (FYI, v1.0 came out Feb 2008), and UPEK continues to improve Protector Suite. In the latest iteration, they now even display the icon and the name of the app requesting authentication. Nice!

Upek is also very responsive. I was pleasantly surprised when they contacted me when I sent some suggestions thru their support webform"

But, there are also very negative reviews such as this one:

I don't know how well this works with Windows but to say it is made for Macs is a farce. Macworld magazine recommended it and that confuses me. I called Upek and they admitted that it's "not as useful" for Macs. I asked if they had plans to improve and update the Mac function. He said probably but he's not sure when. This is not good enough for me. I got a refund.

If someone who has it can provide me with an honest review I would be thankful before I go out and buy something that doesn't work.

6. Cathoir macrumors newbie

Eikon

Sorry for the delayed response, haven't been on many forums lately.

The learning curve is pretty fast, it took me a couple weeks to stop swiping too fast but I've got the hang of it now. Unfortunately it doesn't replay passwords yet for Mac, I emailed customer support who said they're working on that feature for Macs and it should be available early next year. I'd recommend using long passwords with Keychain until the password bank feature comes out. I use long passwords for banking and other important sites where money is transferred, for minor stuff like forums or news sites I don't really care and I think it's alright to always use the same, easy to type password. No idea about preferences, haven't really messed with those. The device is VERY sturdy! It's actually a pretty cool/solid design, I think I could throw it against the wall and it'd still be ok.

-Cat

7. Tigercat212 macrumors regular

Hey Cat. Make one more post and I can PM you with more questions.