Either I'm stupid or something is wonky

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by Mrsharv, Apr 29, 2015.

1. Mrsharv macrumors newbie

Add me to the list of those encountering a steep learning curve! First time I've grabbed an apple product out of the box and had to put in any effort to figure it out, which I was prepared for having followed launch here on the forums. So....38mm sport arrived today...yay! Not sure if I am doing something wrong, but have encountered a few issues:

1) in my watch app, some apps aren't showing up as picture icons in setup. They are black and white geometric designs instead. Wha? Just me?

2) unable to see usage data- spinning wheel just goes and goes and goes. Are others having to wait an inordinate amount of time?

3) same as above when I try to look at the Apple ID under general.

Any help would be appreciated!

Pics of what I'm talking about attached :0)

Attached Files:

2. Mrsharv thread starter macrumors newbie

Also:

Attached Files:

3. psychonaut macrumors 6502a

I had the same thing with mine. I had to erase the watch, reset it and set it up again which fixed the problem for me.

4. Mrsharv thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks, will try that and hopefully it works!

5. ginsengbomb macrumors member

Whoah, before you erase the watch and start from scratch (not that that's difficult), I had the same thing happen at first but within a few hours app icons suddenly started populating just fine in the Apple Watch app and the problem has not recurred. Did you just get the watch or has this been going on for a few days? If the latter, I guess try starting from scratch :).

6. Mrsharv thread starter macrumors newbie

It's been about 8 hours? Doing the reset, like you said not too hard to do. Plus after waiting all day by the window for the ups dude, my patience is gone, bro. :0)

7. izzle22 macrumors 6502a

izzle22

Yo Bro sumptin' be wrong wit yo watch. You best be takin' that ting bak bro!

8. Mrsharv thread starter macrumors newbie

Weird. Reset done but other than my activity info it looks like it retained the same settings? I chose erase, not restore from backup.

Huh.

9. Lobwedgephil macrumors 68030

Setup as a new watch?

10. Mrsharv thread starter macrumors newbie

11. sparkleytone macrumors 68020

sparkleytone

Do you have your work email provisioned on your iPhone through a 3rd part MDM/EMM application? That caused very similar issues for me. Took me ~3 days of troubleshooting to figure it out. Once I removed the profiles and restored the watch, everything has been great since. I don't even know where to begin reporting the issue to Apple, though.

12. Mrsharv thread starter macrumors newbie

Nope, work email on my iMac only. Im stumped.

13. Mrsharv thread starter macrumors newbie

Good gravy. Reset my phone, icons all now in place. :facepalm

Classic ID10T error. On/off of all devices is always step 1!

14. mightyjabba macrumors 65816

mightyjabba

When you've got two devices connected like this, it can sometimes be difficult to tell where the problem lies. Glad you solved it.

15. Sphyrna macrumors regular

Yea, since the watch relies so heavily on the phone and its watch app my first suggestion is always to reboot/reset both the watch and the phone.

16. BrettDS macrumors 6502a

For what it's worth, I have work email provisioned on my phone through MDM and I didn't have any issues like this. When I first set up my watch I had blank icons for most of my third party apps (the native apps were fine) but I could see it installing the third party apps one by one and within a short time they all had proper icons.

17. DJLAXL macrumors 6502

DJLAXL

Same thing happened to mine. Let it process, then just reboot it. All my app icons started showing, and Apple pay allowed me to add my CC. Patience :)

18. BeyondtheTech macrumors 68020

BeyondtheTech

I don't think it's just me, but Bluetooth connectivity has been wonky ever since iOS 7. My 2014 Honda Pilot used to connect beautifully to my iPhone 5s until the iOS 7 update, and since then it used to intermittently drop or never connect even at an inch from the radio. Replacing the iPhone 5s didn't fare any better. My brother had a 2013 Honda Fit and he also experienced similar issues with his iPhones.

When I upgraded to the iPhone 6 Plus, I still had similar intermittent connection issues which started to subside with the included release of iOS 8.

All that being said, there are times that I get a black screen when launching the Apple Watch app, or I see these 'template' icons in place of the actual apps, but eventually they show up. I feel it's related to the connectivity between the iPhone and the Apple Watch, but I blame it moreso on the iPhone and iOS.

19. tivoboy macrumors 68030

8.2 or 8.3 update?

Did anyone do the 8.2 or 8.3 update recently?

on the phone where we did the 8.3 update recently, it hadn't yet updated this version of the icons for SEARCH on the phone or to apply to the watch..it's not an automatic process.

for the phone where we had done the 8.2 update already, weeks ago, everything was fine. It takes a tad to resolve itself, but if you have them as the generic icon on the phone in search, then I don't think they have been updated for the watch size yet.

20. sparkleytone macrumors 68020

sparkleytone

Yeah, I suspect that it's going to be an edge case wrapped within an edge case. Specific MDM vendor, specific kind of profile, etc. Thanks for the info, though, it's good to know.