Either my appletv or Sony tv started talking

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by kat.hayes, Jun 7, 2019.

1. kat.hayes macrumors 65816

I just got a new Sony tv that has android preinstalled and I connected a new appletv to it. I was just talking to my daughter and all of a sudden a voice came from the tv area saying something like “I’m sorry I do not understand” . I have had Siri on my watch and phone listen for keywords and say things like this out of no where unexpectedly, but never from my other appletv. I thought you had to speak into the remote for it to even listen? Does this sound like something the appletv would have done or is it possibly the android os from the Sony tv?

Thanks

2. jtara macrumors 68000

Google Home

Was anybody talking in the room? Or just the TV sound on?

I have a Google Home (standalone) device. It will very occasionally respond to voices in TV shows or movies. Sometimes it will actually respond with what it thinks was asked for. Most of the time, it's "Sorry, I don't understand".

I'm surprised they haven't done something to make sure it doesn't respond to voices coming from the very device that it's running on.

3. BODYBUILDERPAUL macrumors 65816

Ewwwwww it's your Android TV that's the problem. Would you be OK to not have the TV connected to the internet. That's ALWAYS been my recommendation and use your Apple TV for 100% of the time.

In our home, we have the LG C7 TV with Apple TV 4K BUT NO WAY do we have the TV connected to the internet or any apps signed it etc. I trust Apple with my passwords but NEVER Android or LG Web OS or Samdung. Once every few months, we connect the TV to the internet just to see if there is any software updates required and that's it. Apart from Siri, I hate these tacky Google Home/Alexa things.

4. jtara macrumors 68000

I guess it's a matter of opinion.

I NEVER use Siri. She never understands what I'm saying.

Google Home (at least on the hardware device, and I can't comment on the "mini" version, as I don't have one) hears very well - and accurately - and almost always comes up with the most relevant results vs Alexa or Siri. IMO.

5. kat.hayes thread starter macrumors 65816

No sound from the tv. Just me talking in the room to people outside the room.
    --- Post Merged, Jun 7, 2019 ---
    I was planning to disconnect the google features from my tv and now will for sure.

6. FarmerBob macrumors member

FarmerBob

My AppleTV 4K has Siri and I haven't heard a word from "her" and am wondering if "she's" suppose to talk or not . . . I would think it would. That would give me another stupid "entity" to argue with.

7. waw74 macrumors 68040

Doesn't speak, only shows text on screen or shows you what you asked about.

You have to hold down the microphone button for her to hear you.
    If you're in a text input box, you'll dictate text, instead of giving commands to siri.