Either my battery sucks, or OS X is lying to me..

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by digitalpencil, Sep 15, 2008.

1. digitalpencil macrumors 6502

digitalpencil

I've recently run into an unusual problem. my MBP is powering down, without warning at around the 45% charge region. It quite simply gives up, doesn't tell me i'm running out of power, shuts down and refuses to boot unless it's plugged in.

My question therefore is, is my battery completely screwed? Why does OS X think it's 45% full when there's blatantly f*all charge remaining and, will applecare cover a replacement? i've got 2 years remaining..

Attached Files:

2. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

Sounds like a bad battery. Apple's warranty on their battery's is 1 year and independent of the AppleCare extended coverage. At least that's what I've been told on the phone. Not that it stops them from shipping me a new battery and postage to return the bad one.

3. InLikeALion macrumors 6502a

4. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

I've had the Genius tell me the OS is lying to me.

It wasn't even for a replacement. I bought a used Powerbook, but the battery was from 2005, had ZERO cycles and over 100% health. I just commented on how amazing that was and the Genius told me flat out it was impossible and that the battery was near death; I told him I was getting 4.5 hrs of battery and he told me it impossible. It was like he was trying to get me to get a new battery without actually saying it.

So going to back to the OP:

You batteries are the suck and don't let anyone tell you it's the OS lying to you.

5. Schtumple macrumors 601

Schtumple

My batteries had 16 cycles and it's at 96% health, my girlfriends has done over 60 and hers is at 100% still, I've tried the whole calibrate thing, didnt work, made it 2% lower :rolleyes:

6. digitalpencil thread starter macrumors 6502

digitalpencil

Yeh, I tend to calibrate on a two-monthly basis however it's only the last 6 months i've really been using my MBP as a mobile solution rather than a permanently plugged-in desktop machine.

Does that mean I can get a new battery for free? :rolleyes:
    I don't live far from Apple stores, if I was to drop by with the machine is there any chance they'd just replace the battery on the spot? it's only 13 mnths old which I know isn't 12 but is there any chance they'd just give me a new battery? :D