Eithernet and Proxy servers

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Mr M5, May 24, 2012.

1. Mr M5 macrumors regular

So I tried to use the eithernet at my office today for the first time. When I did I kept getting error message that it can not connect to the proxy server and I need to clear anything I have checked (using Chrome). So I did.

I still seem to not be able to connect via Eithernet. I have no idea why and this seems like a stuipied question but does anybody have any ideas? I was told it should be plug and play no pass words.

Also, the reason I tried to use the Eithernet and not the wi fi, is a problem with the certificate, but the only option I was given was to go back, no option to accept and move forward. Any thoughts on this?

2. pragmatous macrumors 65816

First: Ethernet :p

Second: When you say office are you referring to where you work or your home?

3. zachnelson macrumors 6502a

I use a proxy server to connect to the internet at home.

You may need to configure the settings in System Preferences --> Network --> Ethernet -- > Proxy Servers.
    Also make sure DHCP at your work is actually issuing you an IP.

4. Mr M5 thread starter macrumors regular

1. Yeah sorry, to many things at once.

2. My work office. I have no ethernet at home.

----------

Configure how? They say it should be plug and play, so having to input an IP should not be needed correct?

5. pragmatous macrumors 65816

Working in IT for 17 years professionally here in the US of A I know many places have company policies that forbid connecting personal devices into the network. Some are very strict about it so you might want to find out the policy regarding that. Next would be to contact your work IT department and see what they need to do to get that to work.

Every company does things differently so I cannot suggest what you can do besides checking your company's policy and contacting your work IT department.

If you don't have an IT department check with your manager regarding policies and what to do.

Companies usually block traffic coming from personal devices.

6. Mr M5 thread starter macrumors regular

All true, but I own the company so there is no such issues. I did contact my self and I didn't know what to do. When I say I talked to them, I mean I talked to the people I rent the office from.

7. Ccrew macrumors 68020

Are you supposed to have internet access as part of that rental? If so, sounds like you don't have (in no particular order):
    Connectivity to the drop you're plugging into
    A functional DHCP address.
    A working network gateway specified
    DNS servers entry.

First places I'd check

8. Mr M5 thread starter macrumors regular

Yes, I have wi fi and ethernet, I usually use wi fi till this unusual accept certificate thing happened. Which caused me to look to use the ethernet.

It seems to work for others that rent spaces from the building. But they use PC's and just plug and go.

How do I check those things, and what do I do? I'm wondering if my default settings where changed at another place I was at, I removed all the check marks but maybe I need to bring something back?

9. bigjobby macrumors 65816

System prefs->Network->Ethernet

See what it says in there.

10. Mr M5 thread starter macrumors regular

Using DCHP

11. Ccrew macrumors 68020

hit the advanced button
    Need IPV4 address and subnet mask
    Router ID from TCP/IP tab
    DNS servers from DNS tab

12. Mr M5 thread starter macrumors regular

Using DCHP

Configure IPv6 auto

Nothing under the DNS

13. Ccrew macrumors 68020

Using DHCP should still give you it's assigned IP and gateway and DNS server. If it doesn't have that, you're either not connected to a live network or you're not giving me all the info. Under using DHCP what does it give you for numbers under IPv4 Address, Subnet Mask and Router?

On the main Network screen it does show Ethernet as connected, correct?

14. Mr M5 thread starter macrumors regular

No, Im not in the office today, so that's what it shows.

15. Ccrew macrumors 68020

Ok, so it's not connected, therefore there's no way to diagnose. Sorry.

16. hallux macrumors 68020

hallux

Any proxy settings are set for each connection. I recently had to help an individual that got a TB display get connected through a proxy they had previously used. The TB display will add an additional network connection in the Network preferences panel, in the case I was assisting with, the proxy configuration didn't carry over to the new connection, I had to go in and set it up manually.