Eject button to eject devices?

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by gloryunited, Dec 29, 2010.

1. gloryunited macrumors 6502

Hi there,

The "Eject" button on the MBA is supposed to used when a SuperDrive is connected, to eject the CD/DVD. But to many of us who don't use the SuperDrive, that function is useless and the key is wasted.

I am wondering, could we somehow set it to work with other external devices like external hdd, USB drives, etc.? i.e., instead of going right-click on the device and then selecting "Eject ABC" before unplugging, simply click the device(on desktop), then press that little Eject button on your keyboard. Quick and simple.

Is that possible?

2. stridemat Moderator

stridemat

Staff Member

3. Shasta McNasty macrumors 6502a

Shasta McNasty

If you drag whatever is open in the top right corner to the trash, it should eject it. Its what i used to do on my macbook pro when hitting the eject button wouldn't do anything.

4. brucem91 macrumors 6502

Of course, I find it quicker to select the drive, and then press "Command" + "E". Makes it easier when you need to eject multiple drives at once.

5. gloryunited thread starter macrumors 6502

yea, I know about that drag-and-drop-to-eject thing and I agree that "Command + E " is quicker. I just thought they should have used the Eject button for this particular short cut.

that program in the second post seems a bit too sophisticated to me lol

6. flatfoot macrumors 65816

There's a lightweight key-mapping app called Spark that might do the trick in that case.

7. Dalton63841 macrumors 65816

Dalton63841

I just tested out Spark and it won't map the eject key.

8. zulumonk macrumors member

This would be a cool shortcut, does anyone know of any other features of the eject button?

9. superdudeo macrumors regular

I've set up my eject button to forward delete with the above programme. Also to swop round the @ and " buttons. There is still a little of windows in me!