Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gilliard

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 26, 2007
HI, hope someone can help its nothing serious, just that I have a new keyboard
a logic usb light up keyboard, for late work.
My first query: I can change some of the function keys in system preferences such as F1 has a home icon and I use that to instantly open browser, but once I have shut down, when I start up again it has not saved this function, any suggestions.
Second query: I have noticed that an eject icon has appeared in the top tool bar, when I hover over it it says superdrive but that word is all greyed out anyone know what that is about or is it a querk with the windows keyboard.
Just for your info I did go through the apple set up correct keyboard when I first plugged it in so its fine other than I cant use some of the Function keys.
Thanks in advance.
:) gilliard

benwiggy

macrumors 68020
Jun 15, 2012
Can you explain about the F keys a little more?
Do the F keys actually work with anything -- i.e. software that uses them (Photoshop, etc.)?
When you reboot, are the settings in System Preferences > Keyboard that you created simply not there anymore? That is odd. Or are they there, but yet the F1 doesn't work?
And F1 does work in the way you've setup UNTIL shutdown?
Also, check that "use F1, F2, etc keys as standard function keys" is CHECKED.

You can remove any of the menulets by holding down <command> and dragging them off the menu bar.

satcomer

Suspended
Feb 19, 2008
The Finger Lakes Region
First go to your Dock and launch System Preferences->Keyboard, Keyboard Shortcuts. This way you can make/modify any key combination you want.

Second launch System Preferences->Language & Text, Input Sources and put a checkmark in 'Keyboard & Character Viewer and then scroll down and put a checkmark in your country's flag.

Your country's flag should appear in your Finder menu, so click on it and launch "Show Keyboard Viewer". This way you can what keys you are pressing.

gilliard

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 26, 2007
thanks guys did all those things no joy, will try some other things and see how i get on as i said it was not that serious so might have to put up with it.
Thanks again.
gilliard :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.