Eject Time Machine Drive?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by soynutz, Mar 15, 2015.

1. soynutz macrumors newbie

I currently have Time Machine backups going to an external USB hard drive. I'm wondering if it's ok to eject the TM drive without losing the backups. I'm hoping that I can remove the drive (when it's in between backups, of course) then reconnect it, and it will continue the backups as before, updating anything I did when it wasn't plugged in.

Please correct me if I'm wrong.

I use a MacBook Pro with 2 USB ports. It would be nice to not have my Time Machine drive plugged in all the time.
    Thanks.

2. BasicGreatGuy Contributor

BasicGreatGuy

You can eject the external drive when not being used for Time Machine backups. When you reconnect, Time Machine should work as it is supposed to.

3. MLinneer macrumors regular

MLinneer

I do this all the time with the external USB Time Machine drive I use with my MacBook Air. It's a Toshiba 500Gb that I split into 2 250Gb partitions... one Time Machine and one for my 175Gb iTunes library.

4. hallux macrumors 68020

hallux

I only connect my TM drive every 10-14 days, usually when the reminder to do so pops up from TM.

5. soloer macrumors 6502a

soloer

I have a weekly reminder to plug in my external drive to do a TM backup. Otherwise it's never plugged in.