?? Eject ??

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by K1N6, Feb 2, 2008.

1. K1N6 macrumors newbie

I went to the official Apple site to download some stuff, widgets, etc. I found something for Java. I download it and everything goes fine. After everything is done my finder opens up with the option to "eject" what i just downloaded. The icon looks almost like my hard drive icon.

What does this do when I "eject" the java stuff I just downloaded? Hopefully someone understands what I'm asking.

Thanks for the help.

2. SeVeN macrumors 6502a

if your done installing it. then you can just eject that. its a disk image

3. swiftaw macrumors 603

swiftaw

Its a disk image (a dmg file). Think of it as a box that contains files. When you click on it, it mounts, allowing you access of the files. To close the box you eject the disk image.

The idea is that you open the box (mount the disk image), move the files to your applications folder or run the installer if there is one, then close the box (eject the disk image) and delete it as it is no longer needed.

4. Hankster macrumors 68020

Hankster

5. MacBoy108 macrumors 6502

MacBoy108

I reccomend you let some one look at it through screensharing in Leopard or take it in.

6. swiftaw macrumors 603

swiftaw

???? All he's asking for is to explain what ejecting a disk image does, he doesn't have to take it in for that

7. Aperture macrumors 68000

Aperture

Excellent way of explaining it! I've often had trouble explaining what a disk image exactly is to people, but that will definitely help. :)

8. swiftaw macrumors 603

swiftaw

Thanks, I've been refining it for the past few years into something that makes sense. :)

9. Topher15 macrumors 6502a

Topher15

Yeah just eject it when you're done with it.

Anyone know why I can't eject some disk images (just some freeware: AppDelete, Deeper, Monolingual). Dragging to the trash has no effect neither does the eject button in side bar or by right clicking???? :confused:

10. MacBoy108 macrumors 6502

MacBoy108

Oh, sorry the way he explaied it conused me.