Ejecting bulk peripherals

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Arkangil, Aug 24, 2009.

1. Arkangil macrumors regular

So given that the uMBP has two horizontally oriented USB ports, when I plug in the receiver for my Logitech keyboard and mouse, and my external monitor via mini-dp, it leaves very little room to use the other USB port.

My solution for this was to use a powered USB hub for everything, and then just plug the hub into my MBP.

At any one time, I will always have plugged into the hub my logitech receiver, and my external hard drive. Often I will also have plugged in an iPod or two, and a video camera, and sometimes a digital still camera.

When I have just the external hard drive plugged in, and I want to move the computer without shutting it down, I will eject the hard drive, and then just unplug the hub. However when I have more than one device, I have to eject each one.

Is there a way I can streamline this process? Or better yet, despite the warning, and I really doing potential harm to any of the devices by just unplugging the hub without ejecting each device?

Thanks for your help all.

2. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

Is the keyboard and mouse Bluetooth? If so why not pair them and ditch the dongle.

3. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

Sorry mate my phone didn't load your whole post. Me personally I just eject any drives and unplug everything else kinda like you. Never had an issue in years.

4. Arkangil thread starter macrumors regular

No, it's not bluetooth. I couldn't afford the bluetooth set (MX Revolution, or something like that).

This is the Wireless Wave for Mac set.

I realize that if I can get a bluetooth set that would resolve my sizing issue, however since I still have more than one peripheral at any given time, I believe the USB hub is still my best option, which again leaves me with the same problem.

I did just order Snow Leopard, which claims to have better ejecting support, so maybe there is something in that? I am new to Mac (2 months or so).

5. Arkangil thread starter macrumors regular

Excuse the double post in my own thread, but does anyone have any suggestions? Can what I am asking for even be done?