Ejecting CD/DVD doesnt work?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by Volante, Mar 6, 2008.

1. Volante macrumors regular

Switcher here. First off, I can't for the love of god understand why apple didn't include a simple eject button on the chassi. Second, the eject button on the keyboard does not seem to work. It may be that I'm noob and all, but I tried both clicking and holding down the eject button on the keyboard. Result: a clicking the tray does some normal noise but nothing really happens?

2. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

Sounds like it is actually jammed. Try dragging the CD/DVD icon to the trash (the original way to eject) and see what happens. There is also a menu bar icon you can add that will allow you to control the drive.

The reason there is no eject key is that since Mac OS actively tracks discs, you wouldn't be able to eject with the button anyway. Been that way since the beginning.

TEG

3. Volante thread starter macrumors regular

Which cd/dvd icon? It's brand new so i don't actually have a cd/dvd in.

4. Fiveos22 macrumors 65816

Fiveos22

If you have exhausted all the software ways to open the disc tray, you could try manually opening the cover to the drive chassis (gently). Then you will find it is just like any other installable drive with a button to push to eject the tray.

You could also try shutting down the computer. Then rebooting while holding down the mouse button (on a multi button mouse, I guess you would do the right click). That should open the drive.

If that does not work perhaps the disc is physically stuck in the drive, you would try shutting down the computer and then use a paper clip or equivalent to manually eject the tray as they indicate here (see figure 2).

5. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

You never specified. System->Library->CoreServices->Menu Extras->Eject.menu that should allow you to eject any time. If it still doesn't work, call Apple, you may have a bum drive.

TEG

6. Volante thread starter macrumors regular

when i look at the chassi, it looks to be a bit bent in. should de front be flat? Is it easy to bend?

7. Volante thread starter macrumors regular

I'm trying to open it. But nothing happens. (right click->open)

8. Mastershredder macrumors member

Once you open it, you should see an icon on the top menu bar. Click on it and choose to open your drive.

9. Volante thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for the help guys, same thing tho, I guess my chassi somehow got bent...

10. kittiyut macrumors regular

kittiyut

Does anyone know how to map a key on the logitech G15 gaming keyboard to eject the drive(s)?

11. kirkbross macrumors 6502a

kirkbross

Lazy Eject Button

I have found that the eject button on the keyboard works intermittently... like, sometimes I have to press it a couple of times to get it to open the drive. Has anyone else experience a "lazy eject button"?

12. AppleNewton macrumors 68000

AppleNewton

OP ~ what exactly is bent? the chassis of the MacPro or the drive itself?
    nothing should be "bent" contact apple have them send you a replacement Optical drive

Not 100% about key mappingbut under the System Preferences > Universal Access or System Preferences > Keyboard&Mouse > Keyboard Tab should have the shortcut lists there you can edit.

Also note in OS X 10.4.9 ~ currently there has been an update where theres roughly a 1 ~ 2 Second delay in the Optical drive being release so press the eject button for roughly 2 seconds and it should open.

13. PJM macrumors newbie

I have had this problem three or four times. Nothing in OS X worked, so I couldn’t eject the disc. The only solution I have found is to start up Windows, open My PC, right-click the CD/DVD drive icon, select eject. Of course, this works only if you have Windows installed.

14. Fiveos22 macrumors 65816

Fiveos22

I hate to sound all mac-fanboy about this, but that implies that there is a OS X bug that doesn't allow the drive to open, which isn't true. Without going into techno-babble, whenever OSX has refused to release a disc for me the problem has always been temporary (minutes) until I have successfully troubleshooted the hold up through the OS, not by circumventing it.

15. Volante thread starter macrumors regular

The segment between the bays are bent in slightly. I think

16. Volante thread starter macrumors regular

so, i finally got it fixed, can i remove the extra menu for ejecting cd's?