Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

alphaod

macrumors Core
Original poster
Feb 9, 2008
NYC
I have this old monitor I got out of storage and I hooked it up to my MBP. I plan am now using my MBP as a desktop with external mouse and keyboard.

Now I do have the Apple keyboard, bought it a year ago, but I never liked it and I never actually returned it like I should have. Currently that's what I'm using, but I want to rid of it ASAP and use my other keyboard. My other keyboard is a standard keyboard.

Now the issue: How do I eject discs in OS X with the eject key. I know I can do CMD+E, drag to trash, menu icon, but is there an one button way without remapping my keyboard. I read you can use F12, but that's my dashboard and I intend to keep it that way.

How do perform the said function in Bootcamp? And no I don't want to right click the drive and select eject.

Regards.

KoolStar

macrumors demi-god
Oct 16, 2006
Kentucky
Here are two suggestions I have:

Terminal
There are two commands that can be used in the Terminal (located in Applications/Utilities) which can be used to force disk ejection:
The first command to try is drutil tray eject. Simply type in this command and press return.
The other method takes a little more work but can work in instances where the first method fails.
Type the command drutil list into the Terminal and press return . This will provide a list of all currently connected removable devices.
Use the command drutil tray eject 1, the number "1" should be replaced with whatever drive number you obtained in the first step.

Eject Menu
You can enable another means of ejecting disks by opening the folder /System/Library/CoreServices/Menu Extras and double-clicking the file "Eject.menu". An eject icon will appear in the menubar that can be used to close and open selected optical drives.
If you no longer want the Eject menubar item, hold down the command key while clicking and dragging the icon out of the menubar space

alphaod

macrumors Core
Original poster
Feb 9, 2008
NYC
Here are two suggestions I have:

Terminal
There are two commands that can be used in the Terminal (located in Applications/Utilities) which can be used to force disk ejection:
The first command to try is drutil tray eject. Simply type in this command and press return.
The other method takes a little more work but can work in instances where the first method fails.
Type the command drutil list into the Terminal and press return . This will provide a list of all currently connected removable devices.
Use the command drutil tray eject 1, the number "1" should be replaced with whatever drive number you obtained in the first step.

Eject Menu
You can enable another means of ejecting disks by opening the folder /System/Library/CoreServices/Menu Extras and double-clicking the file "Eject.menu". An eject icon will appear in the menubar that can be used to close and open selected optical drives.
If you no longer want the Eject menubar item, hold down the command key while clicking and dragging the icon out of the menubar space

I'm not really worried about doing it in OS X ;)

I'm more concerned about Windows.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.