Ejecting External Hardrive

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by kinggtomm, Apr 12, 2014.

1. kinggtomm macrumors newbie

Hi, I recently knocked my external hardrive out of it's USB port on my Macbook Pro and I received a notification at the top of my screen saying "disk not ejected properly". It is no longer available in the finder or on my desktop. I went into Disk Utility to see if it was there, it was and I wanted to repair it like I do with my other External hardrives; however when I go to do it with this hardrive the "Repair Disk" button is there but i'm unable to click on it.

I have plugged it into my iMac to see if the same problem occurs and it does however when I plug it into my windows laptop it is fine and my files are all still there and are readable.

Why can't I access it on my Macs?

Please Help, thank you

2. Fishrrman macrumors G3

[[ I have plugged it into my iMac to see if the same problem occurs and it does however when I plug it into my windows laptop it is fine and my files are all still there and are readable.
    Why can't I access it on my Macs? ]]

Something to try, no guarantees:
    1. Shut the Mac all the way down -- power right off
    2. Connect the drive
    3. Power up the Mac
    See if the Mac can repair the drive when the finder loads. It may work, or it may not.

If that doesn't work, but you can still mount the drive on a PC and "see" all your files:
    1. On the PC, copy all the files you want to keep to another drive
    2. Take the drive back to the Mac and re-initialize it.
    3. RE-CONNECT it to the PC, and now copy the files back.

Just a thought for the future:
    If you have files created on the Mac that you value, keep them ONLY on a Mac-formatted (HFS+) drive. Yours is just another post of many that I've seen, where the user had a "cross-formatted" drive (for use on the Mac and PC), and one day, the ability to mount and use the drive "on the Mac side" suddenly went…… POOF! That is to say….. gone.

In the future, keep your Mac files on a Mac-formatted drive that isn't touched by PC's.

If you need to move/use files "between platforms", use ANOTHER drive (could even be a high-capacity flash drive) that is "cross-formatted".