Ejecting Firefox

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by CalBoy, Jun 22, 2007.

1. CalBoy macrumors 604

CalBoy

So I'm not sure if this is normal, but everytime I launch Firefox, I find that the icon appears on the desktop. I've dragged it to the trash a few times, and it doesn't delete Firefox or anything. Does anyone know why this is happening? Is it normal? Is there any way to change the prefrences so that the icon doesn't appear on the desktop every time I launch Firefox? Thanks for the help!

2. FredAkbar macrumors 6502a

FredAkbar

Are you launching Firefox from the Dock? Did you create the Dock shortcut by dragging Firefox from the disk image to your Dock? If so, this causes problems.

Make sure that you first copy Firefox to your hard drive, then make a Dock shortcut from the copy on your hard drive.

Of course, I could be completely offbase here...

3. CalBoy thread starter macrumors 604

CalBoy

Yes and Yes. So I should take it out of the Dock, and redrag it via the Applications window?

4. theLimit macrumors 6502a

theLimit

Drag it from the disk image into Applications to install it, then drag it from Applications to the dock to make a shortcut. Then dismount and delete the disk image.

5. CalBoy thread starter macrumors 604

CalBoy

Cool. Thanks for your help.

6. CalBoy thread starter macrumors 604

CalBoy

That actually didn't work. I'm not sure what I did wrong. I even uninstalled, and reinstalled. I think I'll just have to use Safari(not that I mind, it's just slow at times, and I wanted to see if Firefox was better).

7. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

Are you sure you did things correctly? There's no reason why it shouldn't work.

1. Download the .dmg file and mount the disk image.
    2. Drag the Firefox app from the disk image to your Applications folder.
    3. Drag disk image to the trash to eject it, then drag the .dmg file to the trash.
    4. Drag the Firefox icon from your Applications folder to the Dock to create the aliased icon for easy launching.
    5. Clicking the Dock icon to launch Firefox.

Here is a nice guide to a number of different ways apps can be installed in OS X.

8. CalBoy thread starter macrumors 604

CalBoy

Ahh, that did it! Thanks! I wasn't dragging the disk image into Apps, I was dragging the .dmg file! Thanks again!