Ejecting Media via 'Ejector'

Discussion in 'macOS' started by nope7308, Nov 25, 2008.

1. nope7308 macrumors 65816

nope7308

Call me lazy, but I hate having to eject media via Finder. I think I'm justified in my laziness, but I won't get into it here.

Anyway, I found a wonderful little program called 'Ejector' that allows you to safely eject media via an icon in the Menu Bar. One problem though - I have OCD (I'm only half joking).

The icon this program places in the Menu Bar is FUGLY. Is there any way I can change it? I know there is a native icon for ejecting media in the Menu Bar and I would like to use that one instead. I'm new to OS X, so please go slowly...

NOTE:
    The native Menu Bar button only ejects CDs/DVDs and not all media (e.g. HD, Flash, etc.). Hence the need for Ejector. If you're interested, here is the link:
    http://www.jeb.com.fr/en/ejector.shtml

2. NoSmokingBandit macrumors 68000

NoSmokingBandit

Quit the app, then find Ejector in finder. Right-click and choose Show Package Contents. Navigate to Contents/Resources and find "mini-newicon-2.png" and edit it to your liking. Overwrite the original and restart the app.

If you arent too savvy with this stuff ill change it for you an upload the app somewhere, just show me what you would like the icon to look like.

3. nope7308 thread starter macrumors 65816

nope7308

Thanks for the helpful response!

Unfortunately, I have no idea how to edit the image to my liking. I read somewhere that OS X has a native application (similar to Ejector) in which it places an eject icon in the Menu Bar, but that icon only ejects CDs/DVDs. To make things simple, I just want to swap the Ejector icon for that native icon.

I don't know where the native icon is located and I have no idea how to do the proper swap :eek:

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

4. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

Does icon matter? Spend less time worrying about how it looks and more on what you plan to do with your mac.

5. kolax macrumors G3

I understand ejecting media can be a pain, but with Expose (Show Desktop) and quickly click (or drag to select multiple items) and then press CMD+E - are you telling me that it is much quicker to navigate to a menubar item, then scroll down and click eject?

Keyboard shortcuts!

6. apfhex macrumors 68030

apfhex

It does. :) I'm on Tiger here at work, but I think it's the same in Leopard.

/System/Library/CoreServices/Menu Extras/Eject.menu

right click > show package contents then navigate to /Contents/Resources/eject.tif (and ejectalt.tif for the selected state)

7. nope7308 thread starter macrumors 65816

nope7308

Yes, it is.

I'm not here to debate why I want the program installed - I have a very specific question and I'm looking for clear answers to it. I'm aware of the keyboard shortcuts (thanks for the effort, though) and I simply prefer two clicks over expose + the rest.

SnowLeopard2008:
    I spend a significant amount of time on this computer and if something is ugly, then it's my prerogative to change it. You may settle for mediocrity, I do not. If you're not going to address my question, then keep your comments to yourself.

Apfhex:
    Thanks for the helpful info. I'll try to swap the icons, but I have a feeling that I'll be returning to this thread shortly. :eek:

8. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

There's one more thing you'll need to do before Ejector will recognize the new icon - convert that TIF file you copied from Eject.menu to PNG format. This can be done easily with Preview - just open the image up, then choose Save As... and select PNG as the format. Make sure you call it mini-newicon2, so Ejector will find it after you overwrite its icon with the new one.

9. nope7308 thread starter macrumors 65816

nope7308

Thanks a lot for the help! Unfortunately, it did not go as planned :(

I activated the native "eject.menu" and the desired icon appeared in the Menu Bar. However, when I saved that icon as .PNG, renamed it, and placed it in the Ejector folder, the icon appears much different in the Menu Bar.

To be more specific, the size of the icon is considerably smaller and it's surrounded by a white background that doesn't mesh with the gray background of the Menu Bar. I assume I can change the pixel size in Preview, but how do I get the backgrounds to match?

The native "eject.menu" sized/coloured the icon automatically. Is there a way to duplicate this under Ejector? I realize this is insane OCD, but I find it really, really annoying!

10. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

The pixel size is easy to fix. Again, Preview will help here. The background problem is also relatively easy to solve - you need to set the white background as the transparent region for your new icon. Doing this will require something a little more sophisticated than Preview. Lemkesoft's GraphicConverter can do this, even in trial mode.

11. nope7308 thread starter macrumors 65816

nope7308

Well, that is beyond my capabilities. Thanks for the help, though.

Now what to do...

12. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

GraphicConverter makes applying transparency to an image REALLY easy. It even provides a tool for this very task. Once you have the image open, click the tool with the wand icon with a T over it - that's the Transparency tool. Click once on the white area to make it transparent, and save the modified image. Test it in Preview just to make sure it worked.

13. NoSmokingBandit macrumors 68000

NoSmokingBandit

I attached a file that is as close as i can get to the original eject icon. Drop that in Ejector.app/Contents/Resources and let me know what you think.

Attached Files:

14. Will_reed macrumors 6502

Will_reed

I dunno, In my mind it seems a whole lot more simple to right click on what you want to eject and choose eject... though most of the time I drag and drop it onto the trash.

15. NoSmokingBandit macrumors 68000

NoSmokingBandit

It doesnt matter what you think is easier. If you arent helping the OP solve his problem all you are doing is clogging up the forums.
    I had this when i posted something a while ago. Instead of any actual help i got a bunch of replies saying "i like it the way it is, i wouldnt want it different." Its frustrating, really. If you cant help fix the problem dont bother posting.

16. orpheus1120 macrumors 65816

orpheus1120

OP, here's the modded PNG. Hope it helps.

Attached Files:

17. nope7308 thread starter macrumors 65816

nope7308

Thanks to everyone who helped! The modded images are very much appreciated!! Have a good one.