Ejecting USB mouse / trackball

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by SpokaneJim, Dec 25, 2012.

1. SpokaneJim macrumors newbie

I have a Logitech USB TrackMan Wheel that I sometimes connect to my MacBook Pro when I'm doing work in Google Sketchup. When it is connected (and working properly), it does not appear under the devices in my Finder, thereby I'm not able to Eject it. I know that it is best practice to eject a USB device prior to physically disconnecting the device from the laptop. What do I do in this situation? Simply disconnect the USB connector? Turn the computer off then disconnect, then re-power it?

2. SDAVE macrumors 68040

SDAVE

Ejecting is only for physical drives (SD cards, HD, SSD, etc) NOT for perhiperals.

Just unplug it you don't have to worry about it.

The reason you need to eject drives under OS X as opposed to Windows is because Windows doesn't know what it's doing with the drive, OS X is careful not to damage any files therefore asking for an eject before you remove it.

3. el-John-o macrumors 65816

^ what he said.

The issue is, a file in a drive could be in the middle of being manipulated by some sort of background process or application. Ejecting the drive forces everything to 'put it all away' and prevents applications from accessing or manipulating files. Potentially, an application could damage the file or corrupt the drive completely by manipulating a file as it's being unplugged.

A peripheral like a mouse, a headset, etc., does not need to be unmounted.

For the record, you still need to eject storage media in Windows, and it can be done (and should be done).

4. SpokaneJim thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the replies! Mac world is new to me, so asking newbie questions seems to be my forte now days.

5. snaky69 macrumors 603

What the two other posters holds true even with a Windows or Linux based computer.

A good rule of thumb is: can it store data? If the answer is yes, then it should be ejected.

6. SDAVE macrumors 68040

SDAVE

Funnily enough, I've never had Windows lose data and I used to unplug without ejecting, be it HD's or USB sticks in 10-15 years. However, after moving to the Mac I even eject under Windows (when I hesitantly have to use it sometimes.)

But ejecting disks under OS X is so elegant and quick, it's kind of "fun". Drag it to the trash or right click / cntrl click > eject.

7. Forerunner macrumors member

Same here. I have a bad habit of not ejecting flash-drives, and I know I'll pay for it one day! :(

8. snaky69 macrumors 603

If it's not being written to, it's actually fine, but it's still a goid idea to eject.

9. Mrbobb macrumors 601

Nerver had to eject a Windows mouse either.

Now Windows won't even let you, But OSX lets you boot from a removable HD, force-unplugging a removable drive would be bad, every bad.