Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mrdm

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 21, 2010
At the risk of angering the OS gods I just wanted to note how great my experience with El Cap has been since updating to the GM candidate.

It has been very stable and fast so far. I am really enjoying the improvements to Safari (speed, pinned tabs) and used split view for the first time today - it is a very helpful feature that is much more efficient and easier than switching between two apps to get the job done. The notes app and handoff/continuity are working perfectly with IOS9 on my iPhone. I also like the new SF system font and default color palette used by the OS.

Overall - a great release by Apple. YMMV.

tombiscuit

macrumors member
Jul 23, 2015
UK
Pinned tabs are worth it on their own. Far better implementation than any other browser I've seen.

Split view is something of a solution without a problem, I reckon. If you use only two apps for any particular task then it's great but then you'd have to remember it's there and remember to use it.

ABC5S

Suspended
Sep 10, 2013
Florida
Except a few non updated apps/programs, I like this new OS and I see no lags in the applications I use.

patternjake

macrumors member
Sep 17, 2015
Apart from completely breaking Python apps, El Capitan is probably the best OS ever. No sarcasm.
Makes me proud to own a Mac :)

Reactions: duderman67

patternjake

macrumors member
Sep 17, 2015
Have you had any experience yet with 3D games using the new Metal API?

If so, have you noticed any performance differences?
World of Warcraft and Dolphin 5.0 (Twilight Princess) is much, much faster, by at least 10FPS.

hNicolas

macrumors 6502
Dec 4, 2008
Ottawa, ON
At the risk of angering the OS gods I just wanted to note how great my experience with El Cap has been since updating to the GM candidate.

It has been very stable and fast so far. I am really enjoying the improvements to Safari (speed, pinned tabs) and used split view for the first time today - it is a very helpful feature that is much more efficient and easier than switching between two apps to get the job done. The notes app and handoff/continuity are working perfectly with IOS9 on my iPhone. I also like the new SF system font and default color palette used by the OS.

Overall - a great release by Apple. YMMV.

I agree, and no problems with 10.11.1 either!

spiderman0616

macrumors 603
Aug 1, 2010
I have to agree--I installed the GM last week and it has been fantastic. I even did a podcast on it last weekend and will do another one this weekend. No issues on my end with any of the software or hardware I use for that task.

I will admit though--part of the smoothness and speed I'm experiencing is probably due to that fact that I'm on a brand new machine, but I do see improvements between Yosemite and El Capitan on the same machine. The SSD in my rMBP in conjunction with El Capitan makes things launch VERY quickly.

Irishman

macrumors 68040
Nov 2, 2006
I have to agree--I installed the GM last week and it has been fantastic. I even did a podcast on it last weekend and will do another one this weekend. No issues on my end with any of the software or hardware I use for that task.

I will admit though--part of the smoothness and speed I'm experiencing is probably due to that fact that I'm on a brand new machine, but I do see improvements between Yosemite and El Capitan on the same machine. The SSD in my rMBP in conjunction with El Capitan makes things launch VERY quickly.

What's the name of ur podcast?

ryannel2003

macrumors 68000
Jan 30, 2005
Greenville, NC
Have you had any experience yet with 3D games using the new Metal API?

If so, have you noticed any performance differences?

So far I have run HaloMD and Call of Duty Modern Warfare (granted neither are that intensive) and have noticed absolutely no issues so far. Everything plays smoothly.

As for my experience with El Cap... it's been fantastic. No major bugs and everything continues to work well and very fast. Yosemite was my worst Mac OS X experience since I started using OS X 11 years ago so I'm glad to see Apple is focusing on fixing bugs instead of bringing out tons of unnecessary new features.

patternjake

macrumors member
Sep 17, 2015
There's no Metal in WoW yet.

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/18000263457?page=2#32

The other app you mention is a Wii emulator. This 10FPS is all in you head unless you can provide evidence.
No need for the snarky comment. There is a noticeable difference between using Dolphin on Yosemite and on El Capitan, it is much faster. I even don't get the sound lag I used to get with Yosemite on the emulator. Metal is integrated into El Capitan's OpenGL implementation, meaning any app that uses OpenGL will benefit from Metal. They don't need to add support for it, it's already there.

TheEnthusiast

macrumors regular
Aug 22, 2013
I have to agree as well. I was one of those who reverted to Mavericks after installing Yosemite. I was a part of the public beta last year so I re-registered this year, but held off on installing the OS. I tried it for the first time last week and was actually very pleased with its general fluidity and speed. I'll probably install first day when Apple releases it publicly.

Jul 4, 2015
Paris
No need for the snarky comment. There is a noticeable difference between using Dolphin on Yosemite and on El Capitan, it is much faster. I even don't get the sound lag I used to get with Yosemite on the emulator. Metal is integrated into El Capitan's OpenGL implementation, meaning any app that uses OpenGL will benefit from Metal. They don't need to add support for it, it's already there.

This is not the way Metal is implemented otherwise all Open GL apps would automatically become faster. This is not the case and anyone with a library of Steam games can verify it. That's exactly what I have been doing on the Mac Pro forum for two months.

robertosh

macrumors 65816
Mar 2, 2011
Switzerland
I'm really impressed about performance. My 2010 MBW never ran so fast and responsive. It will be the "captain" of all OS X for sure.

leman

macrumors Core
Oct 14, 2008

This is simply not true. The very reason Apple created Metal is because core OpenGL is inefficient (because of its design). Metal is intended to remove these inefficiencies by offering developers a better hardware abstraction. Implementing OpenGL on top of Metal would have no performance benefit whatsoever.

Ebenezum

macrumors 6502a
Mar 31, 2015
While Public beta and GM are faster than Yosemite on Mac Mini 2014 (installed on external hard drive) there is no way I am going to install 10.11 on my Mini when its released. There are simply too many bugs at the moment.

I will install El Capitan once most of the bugs are squashed, probably around 10.11.3 or 10.11.4. I am a bit sceptical when 10.11 is stable enough for work use because Yosemite was only usable after 10.10.4 and there are still some annoying bugs (Finder, OpenCL, etc.)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.