El Cap: Command-C/Command-V copy/paste bug?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Jess13, Aug 28, 2016.

1. Jess13 Suspended

Jess13

I think this happened in Yosemite but not one-hundred percent sure. What happens is, I’ll Command-C to copy something—doesn’t matter if it’s a link, text, image in preview, or other—and it does not copy the most recent instead it pastes the immediately-previous copied. What happens is, I generally have to press Command-C at least twice for it to actually register the current copying, and I generally only realize after the fact that I have to re-copy because it pasted the wrong [insert copy]. It’s slightly irritating. Has anyone else had this issue, and if yes, was there any way found to fix or is it just a persistent bug? Or only affecting me?

2. rshrugged macrumors 6502a

Did you try booting into Safe Mode? That'll prevent some startup and login items from automatically starting so you can eliminate the possibility that you have conflicting software. Separate to that, safe mode performs other actions which could clear the issue then, and after a subsequent normal boot.

3. JohnDS macrumors 65816

4. mpainesyd macrumors 6502

mpainesyd

It has started happening to me, intermittently when copying text from web pages. I do use No Formatting to strip formatting from copied text at times and this may be causing my problem. Otherwise it might be a bug in Forefox.

5. adrianlondon macrumors 6502a

I'm running Sierra (beta) and I get this, and have had it in El Capitan too, but only when using MS Office 2016. Usually Word.

I've worked out to now look to make sure that the "Edit" menu briefly highlights the fact that it's been selected, and if not I do it again. I've found that simply holding the key combo for a bit longer is all that's necessary.

6. Jess13 thread starter Suspended

Jess13

Yes, I forgot to include that above. I see Edit in the menu bar briefly highlight indicating it has copied yet still it hasn’t. So my “fix” is to generally press Command-C a few times quickly for the copy to register, but often I only do this after it hasn’t copy/pasted correctly. My problem isn’t happening 100% of the time, so I won’t always Command-C more than once to start. I’d say it happens probably 60%+ of the time. Happy to know that it isn’t only affecting me, as I have a few replies to this.

I haven’t noticed any other problem with the C key, so that’s probably unlikely. It seems to be a software bug not hardware issue.

I haven’t. I could try that.

7. andriusk macrumors newbie

I have the same issue. Only comes up when I try to copy/paste or delete highlighted text in MS Office. Don't get the problem in libreoffice.

8. danmcg macrumors newbie

Do you have 3-finger-drag enabled? I found another thread somewhere while I was searching for an answer to this. In Word I always have to press CMD-C twice to copy text and I do have 3-finger drag enabled.