El Cap - consistant lock up and "crash" to login screen

Discussion in 'OS X El Capitan (10.11)' started by Swashbuckle Dom, Oct 1, 2015.

1. Swashbuckle Dom macrumors newbie

Swashbuckle Dom

Hi there,

Ive been experiencing a pretty nasty bug with the public release of El Capitan on a clean install and was wondering if anyone else has had similar experiences or if someone could help troubleshoot. Here is what is happening...

I've been having issues with constant "crashes" to login screens (Often Several times in a few minutes one right after the other.) since the public betas. Installed El Cap final release yesterday and still have the same issue all with a clean install and stock apple graphics card drivers. This also happens under the guest account as well.

In addition I tried some new web drivers provided by NVIDIA and while it seems to be a little less frequent (Could be my imagination!) the problem still persists.

My system is the following...

Mac Pro (Early 2009) with 2 NVIDIA GeForce GT 120 512 MB cards installed. Two Cinema displays and one Cintiq attached.

Here is a the crash report from the console app...

Can anyone decipher this log? Is it even a graphics driver issue or something else entirely?

This is making El Capitan unusable so any help would be much appreciated and my thanks in advance.

In addition to the User diagnostic report I have several System Diagnostic Reports as well. I'd be happy to post any of these as well. Here is a screen cap...

Attached Files:

2. Swashbuckle Dom thread starter macrumors newbie

Swashbuckle Dom

Ok... Here is another log from a Brand New install and different Hard Drive. Approximately 3 minutes after the first log in from setting up the computer it crashed back to the login screen. Looks to be window server related but Im not really sure. If anyone could offer help it would be most welcome. Thank you.

3. Swashbuckle Dom thread starter macrumors newbie

Swashbuckle Dom

And... Another update! So it looks as though the crashing stops if I unplug one of my 3 monitors. Doesn't matter which one. Looks like I can only have 2 monitors at a time or use only one of the graphics cards at a time. Once I plug in a third into my second graphics card... Wham! crashes are back.

Does this sound like an issue that can be fixed on the user end or is it simply a wait for Apple fix?

4. Swashbuckle Dom thread starter macrumors newbie

Swashbuckle Dom

Never mind. Just crashed again with two monitor hooked up. Does seem to be less frequent with fewer monitors though. Very frustrating.