El Cap on an old Macbook Pro

Discussion in 'OS X El Capitan (10.11)' started by Bbqthis, Aug 14, 2015.

1. Bbqthis macrumors 6502a

Bbqthis

Lots of 'problem' threads here, so I just thought I'd switch it up and offer my ray of sunshine.

I'm a user of the iMac/ iPad workflow, but recently enrolled in a supplemental ed class that required the use of photoshop on an laptop. Not wanting to spend much on a machine I'd only need for 3 months, I bought a mid 2010 Macbook Pro 15" with 8gb of ram and a 256g SSD for $350. Being a 5 year old laptop, the battery had over 1000 cycles and only held a charge for about an hour. Thanks to its SSD, it booted up in about 5 seconds.

After putting the El Cap public beta on it, it boots up instantly and the battery lasts for almost 3 hours.

Color me impressed.

2. saudor macrumors 6502

difference between 1hour and 3 hours is pretty substantial.. i reckon something was pegging the CPU in the old OS in some way...

3. Bbqthis thread starter macrumors 6502a

Bbqthis

Definitely was something that El Cap brought (or took away), it was a completely clean install of Yosemite with nothing else installed.

4. MultiFinder17 macrumors 68000

MultiFinder17

I have 10.11 running on a Mid-2007 MacBook Pro, the oldest machine that it supports. 2.2GHz, 4GB RAM, 240GB SSD, and this thing runs like a dream! Around three hours on the battery that coconut battery says is at 77% health at 750 cycles.

Attached Files:

5. Bbqthis thread starter macrumors 6502a

Bbqthis

I'm definitely a believer in El Cap's ability to give an aging macbook some more life.

6. bbfc macrumors 68030

bbfc

I need an SSD! El Capitan runs well on my machine but would be better with an SSD.

7. Godyrsam0625 macrumors newbie

Godyrsam0625

I've installed (I think ... as I haven't seen it run yet) El Capitan on a 2008 MacBook Pro. I can't get the machine to boot-up / restart. I've restarted in various ways and the screens and sounds of a start-up act ass usual, but within 2-3 minutes the computer powers-off on its own. I can't even gain access to any trouble / repair features. Any suggestions?

8. Max(IT) Suspended

Max(IT)

El Capitan running on my Late 11 MBP runs just great