El Capitain won't recognize my M-Audio C400 interface!

Discussion in 'Digital Audio' started by tevion5, Oct 5, 2015.

1. tevion5, Oct 5, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 6, 2015

tevion5 macrumors 68000

tevion5

Since updating to Mac OS X El Capitain, my Fast Track C400 interface as stopped working. I believe it is to do new driver signing system. (i.e. kext extensions management) However, I have disabled driver authentication (SIP) and uninstalled and reinstalled the the C400 drivers several times.

The device is not recognized in the C400 control panel, or in the Mac System Preferences sound settings. The device lights up when connected, but will no longer see the device in any software.

This is a major disruption to my work as my main interface is out of action.

Has anyone any ideas or had similar trouble?

2. Morpheo macrumors 65816

Morpheo

3. happycadaver macrumors regular

happycadaver

4. tevion5 thread starter macrumors 68000

tevion5

I do.

5. tevion5, Oct 6, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 6, 2015

tevion5 thread starter macrumors 68000

tevion5

Yes I have contacted Avid with a complaint. I have noticed the latest driver only supports Yosemite, but I think it's bad that El Capitan has been in beta for months and they still haven't tweaked the driver. Bad support.

6. Morpheo macrumors 65816

Morpheo

This is Avid we're talking about ;)

7. tevion5 thread starter macrumors 68000

tevion5

Still no improvement in months now. This is so frustrating. I can't get any recording done on my MBP at all. My speakers, headphones and studio mic all go through my C400. When I'm home from college I can use Logic 9 on my old G5 quad and an old Mobile Pre interface, but when I'm up in college for most of the week I've got zilch.

I created a few tracks on the G5 and brought the projects over to my MBP to have my friend record vocals as she's up in Dublin in college with me. But without these drivers I might be forced to downgrade to Yosemite. Using my backup PC is not an option because I work entirely with Logic Pro X.

I feel like slapping some Avid software engineers.

8. Morpheo macrumors 65816

Morpheo

9. tevion5 thread starter macrumors 68000

tevion5

Seems to work for some fast track interfaces, but not the C400 :/.

I'm going to install Mavericks on a separate partition and work with that in the mean time. A bit ridiculous I have to go to this much effort.

10. tevion5 thread starter macrumors 68000

tevion5

The drivers were eventually released to fix this...in January of this year!

I am nervous about upgrading to MacOS Sierra this time as Avid have not released any drivers supporting it yet. Might be best to stay on the safe side for now.

11. D6rkKnight macrumors newbie

D6rkKnight

DO NOT UPDATE i did it not think about my fast-track at the time and now i have no audio interface at all

12. tevion5 thread starter macrumors 68000

tevion5

Can confirm that I updated to Sierra this week on the hunch that the new ElCap drivers would suffice.

They did not.

Thankfully I was able to restore a TimeMachine back form earlier today so I was back to ElCap in a could off hours. So it seems we're in the same position as last time where we cannot update to the latest version of macOS until new drivers are released. And if it's like last time, we won't see those until early 2017.

13. D6rkKnight macrumors newbie

D6rkKnight

can you tell me the steps you took to restore back to el capitan im not good with that sorta stuff

14. tevion5 thread starter macrumors 68000

tevion5

I Was fortunate enough to have a TimeMachine backup from earlier that day. If you don't keep regular backups on an external drive then the best you will be able to do is what I did the last time I was in the predicament.

I created a second partition on my hard drive and installed Mavericks on that, so when I wanted to do audio work I would boot into that OS and run Logic Pro from there. It's clunky, but that's the best I could manage.

15. D6rkKnight macrumors newbie

D6rkKnight

Yep found my last back up before updating and its all good again thanks man

16. brdeveloper macrumors 68020

brdeveloper

Well, welcome to early 2017 and no sign of driver updates from Avid. Maybe they think that because M-Audio is not their brand anymore, the bad support they provide to older M-Audio interface won't harm their reputation. Well, I'm a happy user of Reaper and perhaps someday I'll sign for an Adobe Audition license, but no way I'd buy Protools. I'm thinking on downgrading my Early-2013 Retina Macbook Pro to Mountain Lion. I don't care with UX gimmicks that add almost nothing in terms of the actual user experience. Windows 7 used to accept pre-Jurassic drivers after you clicked "ok" on a popup warning. Don't know about Windows 8 and 10, but that seems to be a decent attitude, since it's up to the user the final decision about installing something.

17. tevion5 thread starter macrumors 68000

tevion5

While they have been very slow at keeping support over the last few years, they thankfully did release a patch last October that allowed me to update to Sierra and still keep my C400 operational.

http://avid.force.com/pkb/articles/en_US/Download/Fast-Track-C400-Drivers