Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

edwinx

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 6, 2010
Hello,

I am trying to access DFS shares using OSX. I have joined the computer to the domain and tried to browse the DFS shares and it seems to be ok. Is there anything else I need to do? or anything special to setup in OSX so that it can work with DFS properly?

I also tried it over VPN and while I can see the shares, I seem to have trouble accessing the main folder where the shares reside.

DFS is setup using server2012.

any comments?

Thanks,
Edwin

jamall

macrumors regular
Jun 9, 2003
Canberra, Australia
A friend was unable to connect to his NAS after upgrading to El Capitan, even though the volumes were visible - for some reason the only way I found that worked was to use the format smb://username@IPaddress/sharename in the "Connect to Server..." dialogue box. After that initial connection it was possible to make aliases for the shared volumes.

Reactions: satcomer

edwinx

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 6, 2010
A friend was unable to connect to his NAS after upgrading to El Capitan, even though the volumes were visible - for some reason the only way I found that worked was to use the format smb://username@IPaddress/sharename in the "Connect to Server..." dialogue box. After that initial connection it was possible to make aliases for the shared volumes.

was your friend able to index that network share?

is it just a consumer nas or something else?

jamall

macrumors regular
Jun 9, 2003
Canberra, Australia
It was an 8-bay NAS from QNAP. I'm not sure of the exact details, networking isn't my strong suit, but Apple definitely made changes to their Samba implementation in El Capitan which may (or may not) be related to what you're seeing.

edwinx

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 6, 2010
It was an 8-bay NAS from QNAP. I'm not sure of the exact details, networking isn't my strong suit, but Apple definitely made changes to their Samba implementation in El Capitan which may (or may not) be related to what you're seeing.

how is performance? are the shares being indexed? if you run : mdutil -as /Volumes/<sharename> does it say indexing is enabled?

how is transfer speed or when searching and once mounted, after a reboot of the computer, do the shares auto mount?

Thanks,

jamall

macrumors regular
Jun 9, 2003
Canberra, Australia
Sorry, I'm in Canberra and he's in Brisbane - I just happened to be visiting a week after he'd upgraded to El Capitan. The shares didn't auto mount after a restart - I'm not even sure how you'd set that up - I just put aliases for the shares on his desktop, which seemed to work just fine. I didn't experiment with ethernet, but it was easily saturating his wireless connection. Sorry I can't be of more help.

edwinx

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 6, 2010
Sorry, I'm in Canberra and he's in Brisbane - I just happened to be visiting a week after he'd upgraded to El Capitan. The shares didn't auto mount after a restart - I'm not even sure how you'd set that up - I just put aliases for the shares on his desktop, which seemed to work just fine. I didn't experiment with ethernet, but it was easily saturating his wireless connection. Sorry I can't be of more help.

hey, np. thanks for replying.

I read that smb2/3 shares no longer auto mount.

so in my case, I used a utility to force the mac clients to use smb1. I know it is slower but it might be more reliable. how are people with current OSX accessing windows shares anyways??

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.