Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

yansun

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 26, 2010
Until now I used Tuxera NTFS to connect my external NTFS formatted hdd with my Mac and write on it, but unfortunatelly it is not working anymore on the El Capitan beta. Seems even reading is not working properly. Some folders on the external hdd are not visible anymore in the finder as if they would just not be there, but I can access them via Windows. Is there already any (stable) solution/workaround for NTFS read/writing on El Capitan?

MrNomNoms

macrumors 65816
Jan 25, 2011
Wellington, New Zealand
I was going to suggest that the best thing to use is exFAT because native write/read is part of the operating system thus you can avoid the mess of having to install third party kernel extensions.

yansun

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 26, 2010
I was going to suggest that the best thing to use is exFAT because native write/read is part of the operating system thus you can avoid the mess of having to install third party kernel extensions.
I'll consider your recommendation for the next time I have to format an external hdd, but since I already have a lot of stuff on the NTFS formatted hdd which I would have to move somewhere else first I prefer a solution with NTFS. But thanks for your reply!
I use paragon ntfs driver. This one works fine under el capitan.
I'll try that out! Thanks!

Last edited:

silver25u

macrumors regular
Sep 20, 2007
Is it possible that you need to update your MacFUSE/OSXFuse?

Since both Paragon and Tuxera are independent NTFS filesystems that should be no. Either one should enable full NTFS support by themselves. I do have Fuse for OS X installed as part of Parallels but it is the most current version.

silver25u

macrumors regular
Sep 20, 2007
Coincidentally Paragon just updated to v14.0.52 and I now have full read/write NTFS. So whatever then did between v14.0.45 and v.14.052 fixed my issue.

Evren Carven

macrumors regular
Dec 16, 2014

Up to now, I use exFAT or FAT32 for my external hard disk. It's good for me. I will try third-party software in the future.

jruschme

macrumors 6502
Dec 20, 2011
Brick, NJ
Since both Paragon and Tuxera are independent NTFS filesystems that should be no. Either one should enable full NTFS support by themselves. I do have Fuse for OS X installed as part of Parallels but it is the most current version.
From the Tuxera NTFS Users Guide:

"Usually file systems drivers live in the kernel of the operating system, which makes writing them a risky business as they can easily crash the whole system if the developer makes mistakes. This is not the case with Tuxera NTFS for Mac. Instead, it lives in “user space”, where all other programs run, and is linked to the kernel through the file system bridge MacFUSE (a Mac version of FUSE, “Filesystem in Userspace”, originally created for the Linux kernel)."
Latest version of OS X Fuse is 2.8.0 which was released on June 14. Supposedly, this contains preliminary support for OS X 10.11. You might want to check what version was included with Parallels (and make sure to include MacFUSE compatibility support).

Fernand

macrumors newbie
Oct 4, 2015
I am fuming out the ears, and I humbly suggest people avoid Paragon NTFS altogether. I have lost several important banking/tax files from my NTFS drive with Paragon v12. These files vanished, maybe when the drive was checked by Windows 8 or 10, but bottom line, important files created under Mavericks and Yosemite on my NTFS secondary drive via Paragon NTFS vanished. That was bad enough.

Then the company replied to my plea for help with the following dismissive note:

Thank you for contacting us! Please specify how our drive could affect deleting files. It only gives you read\write access to NTFS volumes from MAC.

Oh, I see. All they do is convert file systems, so how could they possibly do it wrong? Well, I had tried their HFS for Windows, and THAT was outright unusable.

Then they informed me (surprise) that they could not reproduce my problem and stopped writing me.

When version 14 came out, since I'd purchased 3 licenses, their robots invited me to download the new version 14, compatible (also) with El Capitan. I figured it was worth a try. I downloaded, and got 3 new serial numbers.

It gets better. There is no way to register the software to get it out of eval mode, because it says my GUID belongs to someone else, is already assigned to another system. They are computing the Globally Unique IDentifier of my system and finding it matches someone else's. So they won't accept the serial number they assigned me. The absurdity of it is, think about it, though I suppose they legitimately may not want me to run it on several different computers (though I have 3 licenses), but what could it possibly matter if I run it on the same mac elsewhere, or on a mac that somehow has a duplicate GUID??? A duplicate GUID is not even supposed to be possible. It's just a misguided security concern. Like not allowing you to start your Volkswagen because someone else has one with the same color and options. So? And every time I tried, I had to re-enter my e-mail, and the serial number from scratch, and I WAS starting to get very angry.

But WAIT! It gets better yet. Running in Eval mode works for 9 more days, I was waiting for them to contact me, having fixed the GUID calculation on their web site. Not yet. So I was copying gigabyte folders from my NTFS drive to my HFS+ drive, with Paragon off, as part of my getting away from Paragon. And I found that the post-copy file count was OK, but the total size was lower on the target HFS drive. I figured HFS was maybe more efficient?

When my applications started falling apart, I discovered that a number of files had been copied as zero bytes in size, whether copied from the Finder or Terminal commands. What could be happening? I wasted most of the day in Terminal mode, looking for ANYTHING that would explain it. Then I found that if I copied them to an intermediate drive first, sometimes it solved it, but not always. Then I rebooted repeatedly and apparently only then did Paragon get totally disabled. And at that point (with no Paragon at all) all the copy problems went away. So Paragon was doing it, even when it was "off".

I think this might be how I lost the other files, if the zero length files got plowed under as part of a disk test? In any case this is an honest account of why I am fuming out the ears.

Folks, save your files and sanity, save yourself some grief. This software is buggy and destructive, it's all incompetent, they can't even do a serial number registration right. And they just can't or don't care.

I'm still looking for a good NTFS solution. Most people are OK with exFAT, though a couple of issues have been reported under OsX, I forget the details.

Last edited:

TekGuy

macrumors member
Nov 30, 2014
I am fuming out the ears, and I humbly suggest people avoid Paragon NTFS altogether. I have lost several important banking/tax files from my NTFS drive with Paragon v12. These files vanished, maybe when the drive was checked by Windows 8 or 10, but bottom line, important files created under Mavericks and Yosemite on my NTFS secondary drive via Paragon NTFS vanished. That was bad enough.

Then the company replied to my plea for help with the following dismissive note:

Thank you for contacting us! Please specify how our drive could affect deleting files. It only gives you read\write access to NTFS volumes from MAC.

Oh, I see. All they do is convert file systems, so how could they possibly make mistakes? Well, I had tried their HFS for Windows, and THAT was outright unusable.

Then they informed me (surprise) that they could not reproduce my problem and stopped writing me.

When version 14 came out, since I'd purchased 3 licenses, their robots invited me to download the new version 14, compatible (also) with El Capitan. I figured it was worth a try. I downloaded, and got 3 new serial numbers.

This gets good. There is no way to register the software to get it out of eval mode, because it says my GUID belongs to someone else, is already assigned to another system. They are computing the Globally Unique IDentifier of my system and finding it matches someone else's. So they won't accept the serial number they assigned me. The absurdity of it is, think about it, I suppose they legitimately may not want me to run it on several different computers (though I have 3 licenses), but what could it possibly matter if I run it on the same one elsewhere or on a mac with a duplicate GUID??? It's just a misguided security concern. Like not allowing you to start your Volkswagen because someone else has one with the same color and options. So? And every time I tried, I had to re-enter my e-mail, and the serial number from scratch, and I WAS starting to get very angry.

But WAIT! It gets better. Running in Eval mode works for 9 more days, I was waiting for them to contact me, having fixed the GUID calculation on their web site. Not yet. So I was copying gigabyte folders from my NTFS drive to my HFS+ drive with Paragon disabled, read-only mode, as part of my getting away from Paragon. No more NTFS sadly, not worth the problems. And I found that the post-copy file count was OK, but the size was lower on the HFS drive. I figured it was maybe more efficient?

But then my applications were falling apart and I discovered that a number of files were zero bytes in size. What could be happening? I wasted most of the day in Terminal mode, looking for ANYTHING that would explain it. I had e.g. some source folders with twenty some files, and half of them would end up copied as zero length, whether copied from the Finder or Terminal commands. Then I found that if I copied them to an intermediate drive first, sometimes it solved it, but not always. Then I rebooted again and apparently only then did Paragon get totally disabled. And at that point (with no more Paragon) all the copy problems went away.

I think this might be how I lost the other files, if the zero length files got plowed under as part of a disk test? In any case this is an honest account of why I am fuming out the ears. Folks, save your files and sanity, save yourself some grief. This software is buggy and destructive, it's all tragic, they can't even do a serial number registration right. They just can't or don't care.

Most people are OK with exFAT, but some issues have been reported under OsX. I forget the details.

I was given a free upgrade from version 12 to 14, I noticed the GUID was being disclosed too, I also could not login to activate version 14, their system said login details invalid etc. I was logging in via their website easily though, i reset password still same problem.

I was also told they 'moved data centers'. They assumed i knew this and should know this?? their website doesn't link to their new login website where you can login to view registered products etc. Their login page at the time never displayed or mentioned anything about their new 'My.Paragon account' and 'Note: This My Account version does not support Paragon NTFS for Mac 14.' They must have poorly skilled web developers if they can't integrate their old and new system, why would they make something more confusing for their customers than it has to be and then assume the customer must know about their 'new data center' and website login etc.

I contacted them as well, what a joke, they are extremely rude, arrogant and was insulted by their so called support staff via support ticket. I complained on twitter, they aren't interested and even on twitter they are rude to, they deleted my support ticket as soon as i complained on twitter. They will not accept any responsibility and couldn't care less about their customers once they have your money, their English is terrible and their replies lack anything useful and informative.

I'll never buy another product of theirs and they can stick their free upgrade as I refuse to use a product on my system when their support is so incompetent and rude and they can't even get something as simple as logging in to activate a product rite. I've never dealt with such a rude company in my entire life and I've dealt with some monsters to be fair.

Last edited:
Reactions: Fernand
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.