El Capitan - Automated eGPU Kext Modification

Discussion in 'OS X El Capitan (10.11)' started by jblagden, Oct 19, 2015.

1. jblagden macrumors 65816

jblagden

Later this year, I might get a Thunderbolt eGPU.

I just don’t want to modify the kext files myself because I’m afraid I might make a mistake which could cause problems with my MacBook Pro. Also, it would get pretty tedious having to do that after each OS upgrade; it would be a lot easier to just run a program which modifies them after each upgrade.

I know Thunderbolterizer has been an option since 2012, but it hasn’t been upgraded since OS X Mavericks.

Is there a kext modification program for Thunderbolt eGPUs which will work in El Capitan?

2. goalque, Oct 24, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 12, 2016

goalque macrumors newbie

Yes, there is:

https://github.com/goalque/automate-eGPU

I began eGPU studies years ago. My first eGPU enclosure was a Sonnet SEL, then bought an AKiTiO Thunder2, and later on moved to use multi-slot PCIe enclosure as I wanted AMD stability. As a side result I noted that AMD eGPU CrossFire worked out of the box on Windows. A member of TechInferno forum reported to me a couple of months ago that he was able to boot with 4 Nvidia eGPUs on the nMP. With the pair of D500’s, it’s 6 GPUs in total on OS X. As an other extreme example, another script user is running one of the 6 screens at 4K off the HD 7970 in the eGPU. This and other numerous implementations wouldn’t have been possible without the contribution of users at TechInferno forum.

The reality is that multiple eGPU setups are extremely expensive. If you have no interest in building a render farm of your own, AKiTiO is the the most cost-effective enclosure and stable with Maxwell architecture GPUs, and quite easily DIY’able with a molex-to-barrel mod. The AKiTiO has the same DC connector size as Sonnet SEL by coincidence.

A short summary for those who are not aware what has happened earlier this year. In April 2015, I discovered the Nvidia eGPU screen output on Yosemite, with a Mid 2014 15” MBP (Iris Pro) which didn’t allow that like a Late 2013 13” MBP by default. By comparing the Mavericks kexts I found a way to fully OpenGL accelerated Maxwell eGPU with Nvidia web drivers, but without internal screen acceleration. A couple months later, I compared ioreg command outputs of Mavericks builds 13F34 and 13F1066 at the time when Netkas released his screen enabling tool (here). The result of ioreg comparison led me to a new solution allowing internal screen use as well; a trivial board-id add, which is approximately 1/1000 of the script functionality. After saying how I did it at T|I, one unnamed buddy believed that getting a hunch to use publicly available ioreg command as comparison tool, would mean IP theft. T|I admin reviewed that no evidence found of any IP theft accusations. Some time ago, I saw a few taunting posts on this forum. They were removed. We don’t want to see such nonsense about my volunteering eGPU studies in the future. My script is meant for experimental and educational purposes under the terms of the MIT license. We software engineers and those who know what citation system comprises in scientific literature, know the importance of copyright legislation.

Sometimes comparing OS X versions don’t bring all the answers. I’ve compared also newer and older Mac minis, which led to nvram mod that changes the behaviour of Thunderbolt controller, eliminating boot screen freeze issues and allowing boot into OS X with 2015 Macs and multi-slot enclosures.