El Capitan Clean Install-Internet Recovery

Discussion in 'OS X El Capitan (10.11)' started by Brocksley, Sep 30, 2015.

1. Brocksley macrumors member

Brocksley

I was going to do a clean install of el cap on my new MacBook, but when I boot to Internet Recovery, it shows Yosemite. Is there a way to do a clean install without a USB?

2. tom vilsack macrumors 68000

tom vilsack

-partition drive in yosemite,download el capitan,when installing point it to new drive,boot into el capitan partition, use carbon copy or super duper to image el capitan to first partition (where you have yosemite),boot into first partition and delete second partition and make drive whole again....thoughts?

3. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Yes... you could DL an install El Capitan overtop of Yosemite as an upgrade install. That would then give you a El Capitan recovery partition. Then command-r boot to the El Capitan recovery partition and use Disk Utility to erase the drive then reinstall the OS. That will give you a clean install of El Capitan.

The only issue is you end up downloading El Capitan twice.

4. smithrh macrumors 68020

smithrh

Be very very careful with partitioning disks in El Cap - not only is the interface in El Cap really poor, I've already lost 10G to an un-addressable partition.

Until I ran into this, I thought going the 2-partition route was golden, now I'm regretting it.

5. tom vilsack macrumors 68000

tom vilsack

That's strange...I tried the new partition interface and made a second partition,...then removed it and made drive as one again and found no loss of space at all. (note... my original el capitan install was clean using usb stick,but can't really see that being a issue via partitioning and your loss of space...

6. Steve121178 macrumors 68040

Steve121178

7. tom vilsack macrumors 68000

tom vilsack

Steve just as easy to run this command from Terminal...

sudo /Applications/Install\ OS\ X\ El\ Capitan.app/Contents/Resources/createinstallmedia --volume /Volumes/Untitled --applicationpath /Applications/Install\ OS\ X\ El\ Capitan.app --nointeraction

8. unplugme71 macrumors 68030

Never had an issue running the command via CLI. For whatever reason, El Cap won't appear when trying to boot from USB. My Mavericks or Yosemite USB sticks work fine. I even tried another USB stick. It just won't appear for me to click the installer.

Any thoughts?

9. cptomes macrumors newbie

I've been doing this since Mavericks. Works great.

10. Brocksley thread starter macrumors member

Brocksley

Yeah, that's what I have done in the past. Except now I have a new macbook with only a usb-c port, so I'd have to go buy an adapter for this, and I didn't want to have to buy the adapter.

Going to try the method advised by Weaselboy. Thanks.

11. tedson macrumors regular

don't feel too bad, when I do Internet recovery, it installs Lion.