El Capitan Color Profile Anomaly(?)

Discussion in 'OS X El Capitan (10.11)' started by saberfi, Oct 7, 2015.

1. saberfi macrumors member

saberfi

Dear comrades,

I just installed El Capitan on my rMBP13 (2015), and after waiting for the process to be complete I was greeted with a system that seems to work just swell.

However, I can't seem to shake off the sensation that something is.. different with the screen colors. It is as if the screen is more bright, but in a slightly foggy way and that some of the detail are harder to discern in pictures than before.

In Yosemite, I just had "Color LCD" profile on (I think.. at least I didn't touch whatever was the default). Now with El Cap, the same profile just looks a tad off.

Am I just seeing things after occasional staring of the black installation screen - or does anybody have any similar experiences?

Really would appreciate all input.

Thanks!

-Sabertooth

PS: I tried switching the profile to e.g. "General sRGB", which seemed to be closer to the old Yosemite profile in my eyes, but I couldn't be sure.
    (Dang, I'm getting so OCD over this..)

2. saberfi thread starter macrumors member

saberfi

Upon further research I have found out that this is due to the "Ambient Light Sensor" feature added in El Capitan, which is incorporated to the "Automatically adjust brightness" -function in the display settings.

When I disabled automatic brightness adjustment, the colors immediately returned to normal, ie. looking better (lowered gamma levels).

So.. I suppose now I have to live without automatic brightness adjustment? That's a shame, I really did like it. :(

If there are thoughts on how to otherwise fix this, perhaps a way to disable only the ambient light sensor, I'd be grateful.