El Capitan Finder Spotlight (.) last opened date

Discussion in 'OS X El Capitan (10.11)' started by darmr, Jan 5, 2016.

1. darmr macrumors member

darmr

Since installing El Capitan my workflow no longer works. The method I've used in the past has been to open a finder window and enter (.) into the search window, this returns a mix of file/document hits. Next hit the + attributes and select.

Last created date before 01/02/2016
    +
    Last created date after 31/12/2015

This returns files created in January 2016. I select the files and open them by right clicking and selecting "open with" or if Logic Pro is open [Cmd-o] with the file selected in Finder opens the file without using the mouse. After opening files using with this method I then do the same for January 2015 etc., In the past this resulted in the option to search

Last opened date Exactly xx/xx/xxxx
    Or
    Last opened date before 01/02/2016
    +
    Last opened date after 31/12/2015

Since installing El Capitan I'm seeing strange behaviour when using spotlight. If I open any software and use recently opened or open a file using the software open menu the file doesn't show in a finder search for last opened date. The only way spotlights database updates to show the file is to open the file from the finder window. Then future searches finds the file.

I’ve reindexed spotlight, this has changed the behaviour completely. Now I can search Created dates ok, however Last Opened Date shows no hits for any date?

Yesterday I ran the OS X El Capitan 10.11.2 Combo Update to see if it would help. It hasn’t. I have no hits for Last Opened Date. The opened date history is completely gone?

Any help much appreciated.

2. darmr thread starter macrumors member

darmr

Today I updated to os x 10.11.3 and Spotlight-finder is still not showing any last opened date history. When I open Logic and open a project from the “Open” menu inside the software logic is running and performing fine, however if I then close logic, open finder and search for last opened date there’s no record of the project just opened-saved.

With logic opened, If I browse to the logic project in finder and open the project with right click “Open with Logic” all is fine and finder last opened date shows the project. This is not just happening with Logic, any software fails to show in finder last opened date if I open a file from within the software.

os x 10.11.2 and 10.11.3:
    cmd-spacebar Spotlight searches returned this error in Console:

Spotlight XPC connection was invalidated

I have a history of files last opened using finder from January (this year), however searches relating to earlier history returns nothing?