El Capitan from Snow Leopard

Discussion in 'OS X El Capitan (10.11)' started by Elmbeard, Oct 29, 2015.

  1. Elmbeard macrumors newbie


    Oct 29, 2015
    Many people are considering migrating from Yosemite or Mavericks, and have a nostalgic attachment to Snow Leopard, but are not considering doing the jump from SL direct to EC.

    I still run Snow Leopard on my 2009 Macbook Pro, but have recently got a Sandisk SSD drive and think that enabling Trim is a good idea (something not really possible on SL). Also, I am well aware that there have been no security upgrades on SL for a while and have been covering vulnerabilities best as I can with ESET Security. I do worry though about getting taken over by a botnet and by covert malware slowing things up and using up bandwidth. Things have improved with the new drive and also upgrading my RAM from 2 to 8GB.

    About six months ago, I was finding me going over my 3GB bandwidth limit regularly with normal browsing and email, but this has improved lately. Perhaps the hackers are not bothering so much with SL any more? The same happened to Windows 98 after it had been out of support for a while - people were finding these antiques actually safer to use than an up-to-date system.

    I have invested in a cheap hard drive dedicated to Time Machine, and still have my old hard drive with SL intact. I have also bought Parallels 11, but cannot install it on SL, since it requires at least Mountain Lion to run. I run XP on this, since I like XP best of all and some of my favourite software (sound editing, image editing, music writing and I also prefer Explorer to Finder for file management) runs best on this, and has not been improved on even in 15 years. I cannot live with later versions of Windows, and it is nice to be able to run XP on a current mac.

    What I am loathe to do is to spend a great deal of time reloading and tweaking software, and if an upgrade destroys or makes inaccessible my mail archive, then this is a deal breaker. I dislike having to download an operating system through App Store, since one can never be certain if the download is corrupted, since there seems to be no verification system on App Store. I also dislike greatly auto-installers especially after a long download (6GB will take all night), since I then have to sit by the machine and keep an eye on it to turn off the auto-install. I want to install when I and my machine are ready, not when App Store automatically decides.

    Would others consider now to be a good time to take the plunge, or should I hang on? I have gone through this after each upgrade, and each time I decided I was better off hanging on to Snow Leopard.
  2. getrealbro macrumors regular

    Sep 25, 2015
    The apps store does NOT auto-install OS upgrades. It downloads an installer file and then asks you if you are ready. If you decline, it leaves the installer file (named "Install OS X El Capitan") in your Applications folder. You can move/copy that file anywhere you wish and chose to install El Capitan at your leisure. I always make copies of these installers so that I can do clean installs for testing etc.

  3. Ebenezum macrumors 6502a

    Mar 31, 2015
    It seems Snow Leopard is working well for you?

    If you don't need any features from newer OS X version or need software that requires newer OS there is little need to upgrade.

    If you wish to upgrade to El Capitan I recommend waiting several updates (3 or 4) because current version 10.11.1 still has bugs that may or may not affect you. Personally I am considering going back to Mavericks because of bugs and stripped features of Yosemite and El Capitan.

    Remember to make a backup if you decide to upgrade! Preferably clone your hard drive to external drive with Disk Utility, SuperDuper or Carbon Copy Cloner.

    Safer option would be to install 10.11 into external drive for testing purposes and see if you like it. If you don't like it just boot back into 10.6 and erase external drive.
  4. getrealbro macrumors regular

    Sep 25, 2015
    That is what I always do. Fresh install of the latest version of OS X followed by testing compatibility of "critical/favorite" software.

    FWIW I stuck with Snow Leopard until Mavericks and skipped Yosemite after my testing showed it offered too little to suffer the brain damage. I only upgraded to El Capitan because my iPhone 3gs didn't like swimming and I bought a 6s replacement. This made upgrading our other iToys (7.1.2 -> 9.x) and Macs (10.9-10.11) seem like a reasonable idea. Hopefully we won't break anything and can stay on iOS 9 and OS X 10.11 for at least 2 yrs. More than 2 yrs brings security issues of running an unsupported OS.

  5. Shirasaki macrumors 604


    May 16, 2015
    Consider the complexity and your huge preference, my advice is: do not upgrade UNLESS you buy a new Mac.

    El Capitan is still refining and current official version is not so good. Thus, it is hard to say now it is a good time.

    Do not upgrade, UNLESS your current Mac is no longer able to perform its duties.
  6. gixxerfool macrumors 6502a


    Jun 7, 2008
    I run two different machines. My '08 mini wouldn't upgrade beyond SL and my '12 mini which is on EC now. I maxed the RAM out on my '08 mini and installed a hybrid drive. It really woke the machine up. I still use it several times a week. It's still viable particularly for legacy software. I have all my externals hooked up to it as well so it is performing double duty as a server for my ATV and my iPhone. The only reason I bought my '12 was because I needed a machine to run the latest XCode for school. Otherwise I would have stayed with my '08 until I got my 6S+.

Share This Page