El Capitan installing for more than 12hrs!!

Discussion in 'OS X El Capitan (10.11)' started by Jharasawa, Oct 6, 2015.

1. Jharasawa macrumors newbie

Jharasawa

Ive been stuck in the el capitan installing logo with the forever "Less than a minute remaining"
    I dont know what to do!!! Help :(((
    Should I wait it out? Or is there anything else i can try?? image.jpeg

2. RedRaven571 macrumors 65816

RedRaven571

That happened to me as well, while doing a fresh install (i.e. - I had wiped my drive prior to installing EC); I bailed on the install and did some research. One suggestion was to turn off the wifi while installing; I did so and the second install was smooth sailing. It still hung on the 'less than a minute' message but only for about 5 minutes. YMMV.

This has been going on with various editions of OS X for quite a while; if you Google OS X less than a second (or minute), you will get numerous hits, including from these forums.

3. ayushsrk macrumors newbie

ayushsrk

Same here actually. With yosemite on my home laptop I had faced the similar problem. I went to the apple store however this time for El capitan and the technican suggested me to turn wifi off while the install process was on. I did so and it was pretty smooth. Although I am not really sure that turning wifi off will be the solution.

4. dmnc macrumors 6502

dmnc

Happened the same to me, fresh installing on a MacBook Air 2015. That "less than a minute" took almost 15 to finish, which was quite worrying. I thought of the possibility of an internet-related problem taking into consideration the fact that on release day the download was awful.
    On an unrelated topic, I don't like the new idea of not showing what's happening during the install except for that loading bar. I find it kind of insulting actually.