Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

crushdeluxe

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 2, 2015
Installed EC on my macbook late 2008 (8gb ram and mac mini mid 2011 (16gb ram)last night and wish I hadn't

MB worked for about 30 mins then froze, on restart no boot, used disk utility which told me my HD was completely full with one "Other" file. Have tried everything, tech tool, disk warrior, disk utility, nothing will fix it!! have just ordered a new drive

Mac mini worked but had spinning beach ball constantly, repaired permissions, disk utility foundd nothing but no joy. Tried logic pro, couldn't run any of my projects, hard drive couldn't keep up whereas under Yosemite it was never a problem and my Digidesign Mbox 2 is not supported so totally screwed.

Decided to uninstall but thats no easy job either, been up all night and have finally got back to Yosemite but had to erase HD to do it so now faced with reinstalling all my software.

not a good night!

OllyW

Staff member
Oct 11, 2005
The Black Country, England
Didn't you back up before upgrading?

I always make a bootable clone of my system before installing a new OS so it's easy to fix if anything goes wrong during the upgrade.

A lot of manufacturers of pro-music gear and software are recommending holding fire on El Capitan for the time being. There are reported issues with Logic and 3rd party plugins and many MIDI keyboards and controllers are currently incompatible.

5 Reasons Musicians, Producers and DJs Should Avoid Updating to OS X 10.11 El Capitan Today

crushdeluxe

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 2, 2015
Sadly I thought I had backed up my system but turns out it was only my documents, lesson learned
Weird about the macbook though, could possibly be a coincidence that the hard drive died just at that moment I suppose but seems strange

macpeach55

macrumors 6502
Sadly I thought I had backed up my system but turns out it was only my documents, lesson learned
Weird about the macbook though, could possibly be a coincidence that the hard drive died just at that moment I suppose but seems strange
You are not the first to report your Hard Drive Died, so I am suspicious - any chance to use Target Mode with the Mac Mini to have a look?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.