Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

georgerice

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 30, 2014
Guys i want to connect my macbook pro mid 2009 13'' with a screen monitor, maybe one of 22''.
Well, for doing that, i need to purchase the apple magic keyboard and magic mouse too.
I saw that keyboard is only available for OSX 10.11 (El Capitan) and above.
I am posting a photo of my computer's specs behind.
If i update it to 10.11 with these specs (4 GB RAM etc.) will be ok, or too much laggy?

Looking forward for your answers.

Many regards,
George
Untitled.png

robvas

macrumors 68040
Mar 29, 2009
USA
I run El Cap on my 2009 and it's fine. I do have th 2.8GHz CPU, 8GB RAM, and an SSD though.

BrianBaughn

macrumors G3
Feb 13, 2011
Baltimore, Maryland
For sure it's not worth doing unless you already have or are putting an SSD in.

There are other, non-apple options for mouse and keyboard.

Specifically, I don't have any knowledge of the performance with an external monitor. The maximum resolution supported on an external display is 2560x1600 but you didn't say what monitor you're getting.

How's the performance now?

georgerice

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 30, 2014
For sure it's not worth doing unless you already have or are putting an SSD in.

There are other, non-apple options for mouse and keyboard.

Specifically, I don't have any knowledge of the performance with an external monitor. The maximum resolution supported on an external display is 2560x1600 but you didn't say what monitor you're getting.

How's the performance now?

Sorry. The monitor i'm probably going to purchase is the following Samsung model: Samsung LC24F390.
It's a 24'' curved screen monitor, with 1920 x 1080 pixels.
So besides that, you say that there is no need for me to purchase apple keyboard and mouse, keep on my Yosemite (which runs perfectly on my macbook by the specs it already has).
The reason i want to put a monitor is because i'm working maybe half of the day, everyday, in front my my macbook for academic stuff (mainly use of chrome, evernote, microsoft word & powerpoint.) And the 13'' screen of my macbook became so annoying for me.
So besides of watching movies and tv series, these are the programs i'm always working with everyday.

Tell me your opinion mate. Btw thanks for the first reply of yours.

Cheers, George
[doublepost=1512395847][/doublepost]
I run El Cap on my 2009 and it's fine. I do have th 2.8GHz CPU, 8GB RAM, and an SSD though.

Ok.. Your machine if far stronger than mine is.. So i think i won't take the risk and upgrade it to El Cap..
If you have any other advice (because i'm not so tech guru as many of you in that place probably are) PLEASE feel free and leave as many replies as you wish.
Thanks for the reply!

Cheers, George

Last edited:

robvas

macrumors 68040
Mar 29, 2009
USA
It's not going to be any slower than it is now...

FWIW I use a 2560x1440 monitor on mine and it's fine.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.