Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

zhenya

macrumors 604
Original poster
Jan 6, 2005
I don't think I've seen a thread specific to this combination, apologies if there is another one already.

Those of you running El Capitan on the new MacBook, could you give some feedback on how it is running? Where is the beta at stability-wise? Is it good enough to use day to day yet? Are program incompatibilities common or rare? What's the battery life like?

All comments about El Capitan on the MacBook welcome here!

iBilal

macrumors regular
Apr 14, 2015
you made the right decision .. you're going to love your MacBook ... so be excited!!!

jmikhail490

macrumors regular
Jul 7, 2015
Northern NJ
I am also wondering the same thing?? Should I install El Capitan and see if it helps or is it still too new to improve the rMB. Because I don't know if I am keeping it I have 5 days left to decide. Maybe trying El Capitan with my developer account will help.

But some knowledge if it is stable or not would definitely be appreciated

tejota1911

macrumors 6502
Nov 10, 2006
I installed it on a 128GB partition and it's running great for me. Battery life is a little worse, at about 7 hours. Other than that, it's been very solid with no freezing or other abnormalities that I can think of. I use it about 90% of the time on my rMB.

Reactions: Jetcat3

Silverbird0000

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2006
Fort Myers, FL
I don't think I've seen a thread specific to this combination, apologies if there is another one already.

Those of you running El Capitan on the new MacBook, could you give some feedback on how it is running? Where is the beta at stability-wise? Is it good enough to use day to day yet? Are program incompatibilities common or rare? What's the battery life like?

All comments about El Capitan on the MacBook welcome here!

I have been running El Cap on my rMB and a 2013 rMBP 15" since beta 1. Both have been great. On the rMB battery life has been at about 7-8 hours. I have had no crashes or issues. Performance is fast. I have only gotten spinning beach ball once, and that was only for a few seconds.

joshwithachance

macrumors 68010
Dec 11, 2009
Still trying to find out if the latest El Capitan beta transmits at 2K over HDMI yet or if it's still stuck at 1080p.

dugbug

macrumors 68000
Aug 23, 2008
Somewhere in Florida
how is the new safari airplay feature for video? I am hoping i can use el capitan on the macbook to airplay web video like hulu... currently you cannot without mirroring your entire desktop which results in bad/jerky frame rate

Dayv

macrumors 6502
Aug 18, 2009
El Capitan has solved my wi-fi dropouts, and shown no real deal-breaker bugs for me. I had a small, intermittent issue with the "up next" list in iTunes not scrolling normally, and one of my beta OS version upgrades crashed on reboot, but it has otherwise been excellent. I didn't notice much lag on Yosemite, so I can't report the speedup many people have seen, but it certainly hasn't slowed down.

Last edited:

zhenya

macrumors 604
Original poster
Jan 6, 2005
Well, I was all set to install it this morning, then I started reading the thread in the El Capitan forum about issues with Office 2016 and that is one app that I'd be a bit frustrated to have issues with so I'm thinking I'll wait...

Queen6

macrumors G4
Well, I was all set to install it this morning, then I started reading the thread in the El Capitan forum about issues with Office 2016 and that is one app that I'd be a bit frustrated to have issues with so I'm thinking I'll wait...

Would love to give 10.11 a spin, however I rely on my Mac`s for work, admittedly I do have spare capacity, equally it`s also time management. For me 10.10 has not raised issue, and gets better with each incremental update.

Like as not I will wait until 10.11 is released out of Beta, try it on a backup system as I need to ensure it`s fully compatible with specific applications before I rely on it.

Q-6

Hook85

macrumors member
Jul 15, 2015
Sheffield, UK

Since installing the latest beta version the problems I had with Office 2016 have disappeared.

It now defaults to saving locally, rather than via one drivel

zhenya

macrumors 604
Original poster
Jan 6, 2005
Good to hear. I may decide to give it a try. I know that I could easily restore back to Yosemite if necessary, just not sure I want to devote the time to this kind of stuff right now. :)

This Macbook is my personal computer so it's not critical to my job at the moment, although it does inevitably play a role, having problems with Office would put a big crimp in both my personal and work usage however.

Reactions: Jetcat3

tejota1911

macrumors 6502
Nov 10, 2006
Good to hear. I may decide to give it a try. I know that I could easily restore back to Yosemite if necessary, just not sure I want to devote the time to this kind of stuff right now. :)

This Macbook is my personal computer so it's not critical to my job at the moment, although it does inevitably play a role, having problems with Office would put a big crimp in both my personal and work usage however.

When you have a little bit of spare time, why don't you install it on a partition. That way if it doesn't work properly for you, you can continue using Yosemite on your main partition.

zhenya

macrumors 604
Original poster
Jan 6, 2005
When you have a little bit of spare time, why don't you install it on a partition. That way if it doesn't work properly for you, you can continue using Yosemite on your main partition.

I took the plunge and installed it this morning. Definitely don't want to deal with a partition and two versions of the OS - if something crops up that causes me too much headache, I'll just restore to my backup of Yosemite. So far no obvious issues with any of my usual programs though. Nothing like Office crashing at launch or anything some others were reporting.

zhenya

macrumors 604
Original poster
Jan 6, 2005
Did lock up on me with a beach-ball after resuming from sleep at the login screen once so far. That's the kind of issue I don't want...

Otherwise, animations are definitely way smoother. Scrolling on some websites that was a bit jerky before is now smooth. Liking the look. Hope the bugs remain (largely) at bay.

zhenya

macrumors 604
Original poster
Jan 6, 2005
Hmm. Might have just run up against a show-stopper. My Macbook is no longer going to sleep (or at least seems to be consuming more power than usual there) and there is no Sleep option in the Energy Saver section! Anyone else?

zhenya

macrumors 604
Original poster
Jan 6, 2005
Well, I'm going back this morning. The smoother animations and some of the other features are greatly welcomed, but I'm just seeing too many potential little issues for me to want to deal with right now. One of the great things about this MacBook has been how everything just works seamlessly for me, and beta software just interrupts that. Can't wait for it to be fully ready though!

Queen6

macrumors G4
Hmm. Might have just run up against a show-stopper. My Macbook is no longer going to sleep (or at least seems to be consuming more power than usual there) and there is no Sleep option in the Energy Saver section! Anyone else?

This is my concern that a bug won't show up until I am in the field, then I will be forced to switch to my secondary system, or worse hardware failure of the primary with the secondary on a Beta OS. Truthfully since 10.10.2 this revision of OS X has been literally flawless for me across multiple Mac`s 100% stable, now a (10.10.5) so I can comfortably wait on 10.11

Q-6

zhenya

macrumors 604
Original poster
Jan 6, 2005
Yeah, on the one hand I'm not running into massive bugs, but on the other there are a lot of little things left to work out, and for various reasons the power consumption seems to be a fair bit higher than on 10.10.x - and the reliable battery life is one of my favorite things about this laptop. I'm traveling internationally next week and even though I will have a work laptop as well, I really appreciate that under Yosemite I can be assured that my battery is always going to have some juice in reserve.

Queen6

macrumors G4
Yeah, on the one hand I'm not running into massive bugs, but on the other there are a lot of little things left to work out, and for various reasons the power consumption seems to be a fair bit higher than on 10.10.x - and the reliable battery life is one of my favorite things about this laptop. I'm traveling internationally next week and even though I will have a work laptop as well, I really appreciate that under Yosemite I can be assured that my battery is always going to have some juice in reserve.

Power is a major concern for me in the field, so I won't move to 10.11 until it equals 10.10 at a minimum, although I don't always need, 8 hours is a minimum.

Q-6

marmiteturkey

macrumors 6502a
Aug 27, 2005
London
Then you need to dig deeper as the issue lies outside the OS, 10.10 has been 100% stable for me, I expect no less of 10.11

Q-6
I don't think you can be so sure, just because of your own experience. 10.10 was a pig for me in terms of wifi on my MBP. 10.11 fixed the issues after about beta 3 I think. On other laptops on my home network, no issues.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.