El Capitan previous purchase not working?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Soflonole27, Aug 10, 2017.

1. Soflonole27 macrumors newbie

Aug 10, 2017
    Hello all,

Let me start off by saying I have 2 Macs. A 2012 27" iMac (Sierra) that I purchased after my late 2008 MacBook Pro 15" suffered a failed hard drive, and crack in the display. Tonight I removed the glass display on the late MacBook to discover that the LCD is not damaged at all and I can get both problems fixed for 70$ DIY style.
    Since the internal drive is toast I bought a replacement, however, I will need to install the OS X onto a flash to recover. Sure, I could pay for a download from Apple. However, on my new Imac, I purchased El Capitan OS X previously. My question is.. Is there a way to download from the App Store and make a bootable flash drive of El Capitan, to revive my old MacBook Pro?

PS: In the app store I re-downloaded El Capitan, but since the iMac is running Sierra it will not open. However I can locate the folder contents. Is that enough to make an ISO?
  2. Audit13 macrumors 65816

Apr 19, 2017
    Toronto, Ontario, Canada
  3. Soflonole27 thread starter macrumors newbie

Aug 10, 2017
    Thank you, I will give it a go and see what happens!
  4. Soflonole27 thread starter macrumors newbie

Aug 10, 2017
  5. allan.nyholm macrumors 6502a

Nov 22, 2007
    Aalborg, Denmark
  6. MacGizmo macrumors 65816

Apr 27, 2003
    Because who cares as long as it's correct? Because Apple's Support pages tend not to be the first thing that pops up in a google search? Because if you need a solution, you go where you're comfortable?