El Capitan Profile error

Discussion in 'OS X El Capitan (10.11)' started by Sidetrack_CA, Oct 29, 2015.

1. Sidetrack_CA macrumors newbie

I have been having this problem for awhile. Apple support told me to do a wipe and re-install of the OS and then a time machine backup. Well that did not fix the issue but it did take several hours (haha)

First my system.
    Mac Mini (late) 2014 Core i7
    OSX 10.11.1

When I boot into safe mode, both of my monitors work. One monitor is connected via a display port adapter plugged into the thunderbolt port and the other monitor is connected to the mini's HDMI port. When I boot without safe mode, only the monitor that is plugged into the display port adapter works. By works I mean receives any signal (screen is black).

I have tried resetting P-RAM, SMC, worked with Apple support for hours and nothing.

To add to the crazy, if I do a install over the top or repair install then both monitors continue to work after the install is over....until I reboot. When I reboot only the display adapter monitor comes back.

So as long as I don't reboot (or re-install the OS after every reboot) I am fine, but I am hoping someone else can point me in a better direction.

I feel like the issue is tied to my profile as its the only consistent thing. Before I restored my time machine backup after a fresh El Capitan install both monitors were working. after the time machine restore, back to a single monitor.

Any and all advice would be greatly appreciated.

thanks,

Rob

2. Sidetrack_CA thread starter macrumors newbie

Update: If I shutdown the system and unplug the display adapter and leave the HDMI adapter plugged in, when the system is restarted then the HDMI is detected and comes up. but when I replug in the display adapter, the second monitor does not appear. When I reboot the last monitor that was working is the one that comes up as the default monitor.

Any help would be great, I am on my 8th call with Apple right now and even their most senior people just tell me to reset the PRAM and SMC.

Thanks,

Rob