El Capitan says VLC is Malware?

Discussion in 'OS X El Capitan (10.11)' started by stevefo, Oct 11, 2015.

1. stevefo macrumors regular

stevefo

I just did a fresh install of El Capitan and went to VLC to get the app. I can open it because El Capitan says it's malware and only option is to trash it. Any Ideas?

2. mrmister macrumors regular

I would love to hear about this—I *live* in VLC.

3. beebarb macrumors 6502

beebarb

Where'd you download it from?
    Like any popular software, it attracts people who want to do nasty things by tricking others into downloading compromised copies.

4. KALLT macrumors 601

Maybe just a botched download. I don’t think Gatekeeper actually tells you that it’s malware, just that something is wrong with the developer certificate or integrity of the package. Be sure to download it from VideoLAN directly: https://www.videolan.org.

5. Max(IT) Suspended

Max(IT)

Finder -> go into the Applications folder -> VLC -> right click on it -> choose Open -> choose Open in the dial box -> Done

This has to be done only for the first time, after that it will open normally

6. stevefo thread starter macrumors regular

stevefo

7. Max(IT) Suspended

Max(IT)

That's normal behavior since Mavericks (maybe Mountain Lion too, I don't remember).
    It basically warns you that the source of the app is unknown, but you can "trust" it if you wish

8. moderngamenewb macrumors 6502

Me too. When it's not iTunes compatible, such as FLAC, or AVI files, VLC is my go to app. If I remember correctly, I think it does work in El Capitan as I'm running it as a partition and not the primary drive

9. kironin macrumors 6502a

kironin

I was using a previous version just fine. I've cleaned and downloaded the latest version twice from videolan.org and it all looks fine but it will not let me open it no matter how I try (the way above which has worked in the past doesn't here). How do I tell El Capitan to bugger off?

Screen Shot 2015-10-28 at 7.41.47 PM.png

10. dfritchie macrumors regular

dfritchie

I had vlc 2.2.1 installed prior to El Capitan, still opens and runs just fine. Haven't had a need to download and re-install though.

11. SmOgER macrumors 6502a

Just a guess, but try downloading it with Safari instead of Chrome.

12. Martha Still macrumors newbie

I reinstalled following the option to right click on the application then open. I continue to get the message
    "vlc" can't be opened because the identity of the developer cannot be confirmed. Is there another option for me?
    --- Post Merged, Jan 10, 2016 ---

I went to system preferences -- security and privacy -- general
    there was an option to allow this app. it works.

13. KALLT macrumors 601

I have checked this myself and the app is properly signed, so it should pass Gatekeeper without this warning. Are you sure you downloaded the application from the official source?

14. camelia, Jan 12, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 15, 2016

camelia macrumors member

camelia

VLC media player "Completely Free, no spyware, no ads and no user tracking" But there is not an update since 8 months ago!!! :confused:

Who knows if the software is malware free... nothing is "Free" in this life :p

Thanks
    Camelia

15. Olboneybird macrumors newbie

Max(IT) Worked for me
    Thank you