El Capitan shut down problems (audio people most affected)

Discussion in 'OS X El Capitan (10.11)' started by g.man, Apr 12, 2016.

1. g.man macrumors newbie

I recently installed El Capitan 10.11.4. It has downloaded and installed as an upgrade from 10.8.5. and when I tried to shut down or restart my machine froze on the desktop screen with Finder invisible.

I've been reading on the apple support communities that this is a common problem and it seems to be twofold: 1. USB ports stop working 2. Machines don't power down/up normally. People have been told at the apple genius bar to back up their data, do a complete wipe/clean install and manually re-install programs one by one. Less than ideal.

I have noticed that a this happens a lot to people that are running audio programs on their systems and some people have been able to solve the problem by removing .kext and/or preferences files from Avid and Native Instruments, which seem to be in conflict with El Capitan. I do run a lot of audio programs myself so I might have to do a lot of rummaging in /Library/// territory before I find the culprit.

I did a clone of my boot drive before I installed El Capitan, so I just reverted back to that clone (10.8.5, which is rock solid)

Anyone here have a similar problem and found a solution to this?

2. BrianBaughn macrumors 601

BrianBaughn

If it's a driver compatibility issue with the Avid and NI software/hardware, then your answer will likely be found at their websites/forums. Pro audio hardware has been long known to be very specific in its OS version requirements.

3. g.man thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes that's it and I'll have to hunt down the culprit as I'm not ready for a fresh install. Staying on 10.8.5 for the time being.

4. BrianBaughn macrumors 601

BrianBaughn

If you determine that you need to be in Mountain Lion for the audio app to work, you have a need to upgrade to El Capitan, and you don't mind dealing with switching between the two then you could always set up a dual boot situation.

There are some good points about dual-booting made in this Apple Support Community thread.