Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

fessen

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 4, 2011
I haven't seen that anyone else has asked about this, so I am assuming I am missing something that should be pretty obvious. Anyway ...

I am upgrading a 2009 MBP from Snow Leopard to El Capitan.

How do you activate one-finger dragging for the touchpad? This was an option in Snow Leopard's System Preferences window (screencap attached), but I don't see it in El Capitan.

Attachments

• onefingerdrag.png
    onefingerdrag.png
    219.8 KB · Views: 313

Shirasaki

macrumors P6
May 16, 2015
If you use one finger to press and hold on trackpad while mouse cursor is on title bar of a Window, you would be able to do "one finger dragging".
But if you want to find an alternative way to do so in El Capitan, there is a "three finger tap to move" gesture.
And if what I remembered was correct, you can find an option called "tap to hold".
Maybe, you can find something more from accessibility panel.

jackeill

macrumors member
May 2, 2010
If you use one finger to press and hold on trackpad while mouse cursor is on title bar of a Window, you would be able to do "one finger dragging".
But if you want to find an alternative way to do so in El Capitan, there is a "three finger tap to move" gesture.
And if what I remembered was correct, you can find an option called "tap to hold".
Does it mean that it is always on? I have it always off right now as Apple clearly doesn't know how to implement that properly. When one finger dragging is enabled there is noticeable lag for EVERY left-tap (and it's been like this forever). Strange that in this case Microsoft always had it implemented properly - no lag in Windows.

Shirasaki

macrumors P6
May 16, 2015
Does it mean that it is always on? I have it always off right now as Apple clearly doesn't know how to implement that properly. When one finger dragging is enabled there is noticeable lag for EVERY left-tap (and it's been like this forever). Strange that in this case Microsoft always had it implemented properly - no lag in Windows.
Well, if you refer to one finger move, it is probably gone in El Capitan.
But if you refer to three-finger move, you can close it.
And, as I may know, trackpad gesture has changed quite a lot from Yosemite, or even mavericks.

fessen

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 4, 2011
It's hidden in accessibility panel. Thanks.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.