El Capitan Update/Download

Discussion in 'OS X El Capitan (10.11)' started by mhrobinson3, Oct 2, 2015.

1. mhrobinson3 macrumors newbie

I'm running OS X 10.10.5 on a 2013 MacBook Pro. When I check in the App store for updates, I'm told no updates are available. Is this right? If I try to download it anyway, the little timer thing just keep spinning with no indication that a download is taking place. What's happening here?

I've not had this type of problem with any previous OS upgrades. Any help would be appreciated.

2. niji macrumors 6502a

niji

hi
    the 1st day the new OS was out, it also didn't show up on the update screen. so i just downloaded it from the main home page of the App Store home page.
    could it be that the new OS is not an update per se, but a new OS?
    i don't know why you are getting no progress bar for the download. there may be a progress bar window underneath all open windows.

3. mhrobinson3 thread starter macrumors newbie

Tried that too with the same result. Looked under the windows as well as in the Downloads folder. Doesn't seem to be anything anywhere; very odd. I let it spin all last night and it was still going this morning. Also tried rebooting to no avail. Guess I'll have to contact Support.

4. Rodan52 macrumors regular

Rodan52

Firstly lets get the terminology right. An Update is a change to an existing OS. An Upgrade is the downloading and installation of a completely different Operating System. El Capitan is not an "Update" to Yosemite, it is an Upgrade.
    So when the App Store says "No Updates Are Available" it is correct.
    If you are trying to download the El Capitan "Upgrade" it is nearly 6Gb in size and requires around 10Gb of storage to download. You might want to read this article first. http://www.macworld.com/article/2986158/operating-systems/how-to-install-os-x-el-capitan.html

5. CoastalOR macrumors 68000

CoastalOR

The El Capitain installer will be downloaded to the Applications folder. Look for "Install OS X El Capitan" in the Applications folder when it is downloaded. The El Capitain installer should automatically launch to begin installation after it is downloaded, but I have read of the El Capitain installer not auto launches after downloading. The installer app will automatically delete itself after completing the installation.

If you do not want to install immediately after the download then Quit it after answering the "which language question". I prefer to do this, save the complete installer to a thumb drive or better yet create a USB installer in case it is needed later without having to re-download. You can go back later, when ready, and launch the "Install OS X El Capitan" app.