El Capitan update killed my iMac

Discussion in 'OS X El Capitan (10.11)' started by godette, Nov 3, 2015.

1. godette macrumors member

Heeeeeelp please! My iMac is dead after the El capitan update. I think the update broke it. It seemed to install properly but after rebooting the screen freezes and it just won't start up again. I've attached a picture of what the screen looks like now.
    I've pulled the plug and turned it on again but I get the same result. It turns on, but then freezes.
    Sometimes the screen remains like this, sometimes, after a few hours, it suddenly fills with lines and lines of static text. It's hard to explain what it looks like.
    Has anyone else had this problem? Is there a fix for it?
    THANK YOU

Attached Files:

2. Goatllama macrumors 6502a

Goatllama

3. godette thread starter macrumors member

Thank you! I've gone to that thread and hopefully will find my fix there.

4. Burger Thing macrumors 6502a

Burger Thing

My MBP is suffering from the same problem. I can only start my computer after I boot into the recovery partition and install EC again. I tried to reset the hardware several times to no avail.

Tried yesterday to edit holiday pictures in Aperture. My god, my formerly speedy computer has turned into a bit pile of cr@p. Even the Photos App crashing randomly.

I am starting to contemplate going back to Windows. Apple's computer lineup is too thinned out for my liking and the software doesn't 'simply works' anymore.