El Capitan vs El Cap

Discussion in 'OS X El Capitan (10.11)' started by iamMacPerson, Jun 8, 2015.

?

What do you call 10.11?

1. El Capitan

2. El Cap

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. iamMacPerson macrumors 68030

iamMacPerson

I'm curious to know what people say. As a California native I personally say El Cap.

2. redheeler macrumors 603

redheeler

3. Eithanius macrumors 65816

Not Mountain Yosemite...?

4. grahamperrin macrumors 601

grahamperrin

As a UK native I had no idea that 'El Capitan' was a place.

5. steveza macrumors 68000

steveza

Indeed, hardly a name that has a global appeal. I should imagine that some in the US haven't heard of it either.

6. pollaxe macrumors 6502

pollaxe

As a 43-year old Brit, I had a similar confusion with Drake. (Yes, I'm old and out of touch.)

I think I'll be calling it by the full name.

7. flur macrumors 68000

I wish Apple had just called it El Cap.

8. grahamperrin macrumors 601

grahamperrin

No offence intended to Californians (if that's where it is), but when I first saw a headline with the phrase El Capitan in search results, I thought that someone (maybe at The Onion) was mucking about. "New OS is Da Boss", that sort of thing.

9. QCassidy352 macrumors G3

QCassidy352

I'd wager more people know El Capitan than Mavericks. But yeah, no global appeal on either of them.

10. ipsychedelic macrumors 6502a

ipsychedelic

Yeh, sorta hard to digest that when I saw the Verge's article's main photo.
    I think like some of you said, it has no global appeal.
    As a matter of fact I think I only heard of Yosemite before on the Yogi Bear when I was a kid, so anyway for spanish speaking people outside the US it will just come as "The Big Daddy" sorta name scheme, not a national US landmark-something.

11. iamMacPerson thread starter macrumors 68030

iamMacPerson

Technically, Yosemite is the place. El Capitan is just one of the mountains in the park.

12. AngerDanger macrumors 68030

AngerDanger

When I first got 10.11 a few years ago, I was all about calling it El Capitan, but as the years have gone by, I've been known to simply call it El Cap or The Cap'm.

13. navaira macrumors 68040

navaira

Judging by how long it took me to stop being confused about which one is Mavericks and which one is Yosemite, I will probably call the new system "system" or "OS X" if I am feeling picky or talking to a Windoze user.

14. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

I'll probably just call it "10.11". Either that or "El Captain" just to annoy people.

15. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

As someone who lives on the other side of the country I have no idea what 'El Capitan' was.

Or el cap - I just can't see myself using the full name

16. Freyqq macrumors 68040

Nah, I'd go with Snow Yosemite Mountain. Rolls off the tongue.

17. Partron22 macrumors 68000

Partron22

El Capitan Crunch:
    [​IMG]
    The should've picked something outside the bounds of Yosemite National Park.
    The name reveals a decided lack of creative leadership at the top.

18. Peaceful macrumors member

Peaceful

I live two states away from California, and I didn't know it was a place. It's a lousy name from a lousy naming scheme.

19. smorrissey macrumors 6502a

El capitán wy! en el mar la vida es más sabrosa, la la la.

20. jamescharley22 macrumors member

jamescharley22

Because I live in Northern Arizona and we have a rock formation generally referred to as El Cap, (Aghaałą́ Peak in Navajo) I will be specifically calling OS X 10.11 El Capitan and not El Cap, just 'cause.

21. doug in albq, Jun 8, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 8, 2015

doug in albq Suspended

doug in albq

That is very interesting. I lived in Flagstaff for some time.

I will be calling it El Cap because it is easier to say and El Cap is what most locals (in the USA) eventually call something they know formally as El Capitan, like hikers/climbers to the rock itself, or students to El Capitan High School, etc.

22. grahamperrin macrumors 601

grahamperrin

From personal experience I'm almost certain that some areas of engineering within Apple can take an obscurely humorous response to genuinely trivial bugs (problem reports) or enhancement requests. The easter egg mentality is not entirely dead.

If complaints about the flatness of, lack of dimension in Yosemite are perceived to be trivial, then whoever makes the final decision about names for OS X (not someone in engineering) might have a laugh at the expense of people who find fault with the modern user interface. Like,

If you find flat distasteful, now chew on this:
    the closest we can get to a mountain that's flat on one side.

Yeah. I need plain english that will be immediately understandable when spoken to any colleague who will know the phrase "O S ten" but might not know the differences between versions. "Ten point eleven is like ten point ten …".

Mavericks has multiple meanings, I use the word without hesitation. When I first saw it used by Apple my first thought was, naturally, the dictionary definition:

maverick (noun): an unorthodox or independent-minded person​

– much like Apple encouraged us to "Think different" for five years, 1997-2002. I was one of those people, then, in the late 1990s; my perceptions of what a computer should be differed from the perceptions of users of Windows. Eighteen years after we were introduced, Think different endures. It's primary amongst memorable phrases used by Apple; in the same way that a sledgehammer smashing the Orwellian vision of 1984 is primary amongst memorable images.

I imagine a song, something with a mambo beat.

Instead, YouTube finds this. Drunken, topless, passed out, note the emphasis beneath the word "Capitan":

El Capitan (OPM).png