Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

darrengrayshon

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 2, 2015
Hi all,

I updated to El Capitan yesterday and all seemed fine until i switched on today and the Mac won't boot

I re-installed and again was fine until i re-started and again, it won't boot

I'm not a tech head so have no idea.. Everything was fine before.

Could anyone suggest anything to help....

Thanks

Darren

akwarner

macrumors member
Feb 26, 2006
Hi all,

I updated to El Capitan yesterday and all seemed fine until i switched on today and the Mac won't boot

Thanks

Darren

Many people are running into this, me included. The only solution that seems to be working so far is a complete clean install and then re-installation of all of one's software. That is a pain that many don't want to do through. Some even reported trying to do a clean install and then doing a restore or migration of their software and settings and that ended up with the same inability to reboot.It is not affecting everyone and the general thought seems to be that some old software is probably causing the issue for those of us who are affected. My best friend upgraded with no issue. I have now done and install and subsequent restore back to Yosemite three times with the same result.

I figure Apple will eventually identify the issue and resolve it but for not it remains a major annoyance. I am probably going to take this weekend to do a clean install. I will then re-install all the software that I use and finally copy only my data back (as opposed to a restore which seems to make the problem re-occur). My system had parts of it that go back to Tiger since I've always just done in place upgrades rather than start over clean. It is probably time for a rebuild anyway. Still am very curious as to what is causing these failures however.

A.

Reactions: Seahster

iorangutan

macrumors member
Nov 2, 2009
I have the exact same issue. Installing from scratch and reinstalling all software, documents, settings etc is definitely not an option!

I've read it may be something to do with either FileVault, or third party software, but have yet to find an adequate solution. If someone finds a solution quick then please post!

I think I'm going to have to restore My Time Machine back up of Mavericks, disable FileVault and try again - will take some time, and if it works I will re-post here. If I don't re-post I'm still looking for a solution please!

iorangutan

macrumors member
Nov 2, 2009
For further info, it sticks on this screen after logging in.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 1,596

alemiani

macrumors newbie
Oct 2, 2015
Almost the same here. Up to Beta 3 it was ok, but from beta 8 (I don't know why this gap 3-8) it started to prevent boot.
This is the third time i reinstall the OS, now I try from scratch

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    2.9 MB · Views: 1,374

iorangutan

macrumors member
Nov 2, 2009
I managed to get it fixed!

The Time Machine back-up and restore didn't succeed, in that I re-enabled FileVault after successful restore and upgrade and came across the same problem.

The fix - I did two things in Terminal in Recovery Mode (Command +R when starting up):

• moved some unsupported third party kext's
  • Unencrypted the drive (removed FileVault)

First following instructions on the many similar threads over on the developer forum, like this one: https://forums.developer.apple.com/thread/21173

I ran in recovery mode in Terminal these commands, which simply moved these following two files into a Unsupported Directory (note "Machintosh HD" needs to be the name of your main Volume which may be different):

If you have FileVault enabled you will need to unlock your disk, which you can to using Disk Utility and unlocking the volume from the menu, (or by using this terminal commands suggested in the link below)

then

cd "/Volumes/Macintosh HD/Library/Extensions/"
mkdir Unsupported
mv CIJU* Unsupported
mv BJ* Unsupported​

Two files moved from this directory (which were the only two matching files on my Mac form the above Developer Forum thread). These are related to my Canon Printer and its drivers, so no big deal.
  • BJUSBLoad.kext
  • CIJUSBLoad.kext

If you search through these Developer forums you'll see Max108 has given specific instructions to many other users, and gets them to move some other unsupported / third party files they may have on their Macs. The above two were the only ones I need to move.

Then removed FileVault Encryption following the instructions I found here:
https://derflounder.wordpress.com/2...ecrypt-your-filevault-2-encrypted-boot-drive/

Booted all good! El Capitan running.

May wait a while before re-enabling FileVault - and if this crashed it again I will update here...

pavelbure

macrumors 6502a
Feb 22, 2007
My problem is when i start up, I start up in verbose mode, it won't even get past the all white start up screen and start the verbose mode info screen. I isolated the problem to a usb hub. I never had a problem with it until I upgraded. So try unplugging everything and going from there.

ksz

macrumors 68000
Oct 28, 2003
USA
I am having a similar problem with my 2008 Mac Pro (3,1). It has dual SSD drives in RAID-0 and the latest version of Yosemite, which works very well. However, upgrading to El Capitan through Yosemite succeeds and the computer starts up the first time only through the upgrade software itself.

A subsequent reboot gets just barely to the white splash screen with the Apple logo before it encounters some kind of panic and reboots itself. This begins a never-ending cycle of automatic reboots. I am, however, able to press the Option key and change the startup disk. Fortunately I did a full backup of Yosemite to an external USB hard drive prior to the upgrade and have simply recovered from that backup.

I don't have the BJUSBLoad.kext or CIJUSBLoad.kext in my Library/Extensions folder, so for the time being I am out of ideas. Will stay with Yosemite until this problem gets better understood.

akwarner

macrumors member
Feb 26, 2006
A tip about Eltima Syncmate seems to have done it for me. I read a similar discussion to this one over on the Apple Support forums.

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/7254082?start=15&tstart=0

I had read about removing the Virtual Box kexts

[not loaded] org.virtualbox.kext.VBoxDrv (2.1.2) [Click for support]
[not loaded] org.virtualbox.kext.VBoxNetFlt (2.1.2) [Click for support]
[not loaded] org.virtualbox.kext.VBoxUSB (2.1.2) [Click for support]

and had tried that but it did not get me going. I just tried removing the Eltima Syncmate kext as well (I do not even use either of these software products anymore so it was just left over stuff)

[loaded] com.eltima.SyncMate.kext (0.2.5b15) [Click for support]

and i was just able to do a successful reboot of El Capitan. Still more playing around to do but hopefully I am on my way finally.

It seems to be related to old kexts somehow hanging up El Capitan on a reboot.

Thanks.

A.

drsdig

macrumors newbie
Dec 10, 2008
I am having a similar problem with my 2008 Mac Pro (3,1). It has dual SSD drives in RAID-0 and the latest version of Yosemite, which works very well. However, upgrading to El Capitan through Yosemite succeeds and the computer starts up the first time only through the upgrade software itself.

A subsequent reboot gets just barely to the white splash screen with the Apple logo before it encounters some kind of panic and reboots itself. This begins a never-ending cycle of automatic reboots. I am, however, able to press the Option key and change the startup disk. Fortunately I did a full backup of Yosemite to an external USB hard drive prior to the upgrade and have simply recovered from that backup.

I don't have the BJUSBLoad.kext or CIJUSBLoad.kext in my Library/Extensions folder, so for the time being I am out of ideas. Will stay with Yosemite until this problem gets better understood.

drsdig

macrumors newbie
Dec 10, 2008
I am having same problem. Tried options key but still cannot get in. All I get is "choose network" and then right back to the "panic" screen and it reboots itself....neverending cycle.

iorangutan

macrumors member
Nov 2, 2009
My current frustration is that the two files BJUSBLoad.kext & CIJUSBLoad.kext keep reappearing in /Volumes/Macintosh HD/Library/Extensions/
!
So I have to keep deleting them to get it to boot.

beebarb

macrumors 6502
Sep 10, 2015
My current frustration is that the two files BJUSBLoad.kext & CIJUSBLoad.kext keep reappearing in /Volumes/Macintosh HD/Library/Extensions/
!
So I have to keep deleting them to get it to boot.
The Canon drivers might have a file integrity agent that keeps reinstalling the kernel extensions.
Normally a sensible precaution against novices deleting files they shouldn't, it seems to be causing you trouble.

You may need to completely rid your system of the Canon printer drivers, or try to find and terminate the integrity agent.

cocoua

macrumors 6502a
May 19, 2014
madrid, spain

The Time Machine back-up and restore didn't succeed, in that I re-enabled FileVault after successful restore and upgrade and came across the same problem.
May wait a while before re-enabling FileVault - and if this crashed it again I will update here...

Hi!!
I have exactly the same problem, I didn't know about the terminal commands, but I could boot form external USB copy (yosemite) and then I deleted the kext manually. I also have this one:

hp_io_enabler_compound.kext

so the three are there..

The problem is, when I boot on the internal El Capitan it works, BUT somehow, during my workflow, the kext are created again!! I don't know how, I use Photoshop, After Effects and Flash, Spotify, Chrome, Safari, Skype.. this is my normal day to day apps...

Do you know if some of them could be creating again and again the kexts??

How can I found the culprit??

many thanks..

drsdig

macrumors newbie
Dec 10, 2008
Hi!!
I have exactly the same problem, I didn't know about the terminal commands, but I could boot form external USB copy (yosemite) and then I deleted the kext manually. I also have this one:

hp_io_enabler_compound.kext

so the three are there..

The problem is, when I boot on the internal El Capitan it works, BUT somehow, during my workflow, the kext are created again!! I don't know how, I use Photoshop, After Effects and Flash, Spotify, Chrome, Safari, Skype.. this is my normal day to day apps...

Do you know if some of them could be creating again and again the kexts??

How can I found the culprit??

many thanks..

drsdig

macrumors newbie
Dec 10, 2008
I finally gave up, called Apple. Technician tried several things that did not work, but suggested I go to Genius Bar, which I did. They reloaded El Capitan, but could not guarantee all would be saved, however they managed to save all my things. It is now working.

Reactions: Goatllama

Dlang70

macrumors newbie
Oct 26, 2015
Hi all,

Thanks

Darren

Dlang70

macrumors newbie
Oct 26, 2015
I had the same problem and started up in recovery mode by holding command + r key down until the utilities page appeared. I then clicked on the apple logo at the top and selected startup disk then chose the macintosh HD Drive and fired it back up. Now working except it is still using Yosemite and not El Capitan but happy for now. Might want to make sure you're stuff is backed up first though unless you're happy just to have the machine working again as not sure if there is a risk of data loss, though don't appear to have lost any of mine.

cool11

macrumors 68000
Sep 3, 2006
Same problem in initial install of el capitan, and now with 10.11.1
I decided to install with clean install el capitan, and then I migrated my data from external hard disk.
10.11.1, mentions that 'fixes the problem with el capitan installation' but it did not.
Same stuck again.

I can't explain why such a mess from apple, for mac users.

I want to upgrade to 10.11.1 and I can't.

Greenish Lantern

macrumors newbie
Oct 27, 2015

The fix - I did two things in Terminal in Recovery Mode (Command +R when starting up):

• moved some unsupported third party kext's
  • Unencrypted the drive (removed FileVault)

First following instructions on the many similar threads over on the developer forum, like this one: https://forums.developer.apple.com/thread/21173

I ran in recovery mode in Terminal these commands, which simply moved these following two files into a Unsupported Directory (note "Machintosh HD" needs to be the name of your main Volume which may be different):

If you have FileVault enabled you will need to unlock your disk, which you can to using Disk Utility and unlocking the volume from the menu, (or by using this terminal commands suggested in the link below)

then

cd "/Volumes/Macintosh HD/Library/Extensions/"
mkdir Unsupported
mv CIJU* Unsupported
mv BJ* Unsupported​

Two files moved from this directory (which were the only two matching files on my Mac form the above Developer Forum thread). These are related to my Canon Printer and its drivers, so no big deal.
  • BJUSBLoad.kext
  • CIJUSBLoad.kext

If you search through these Developer forums you'll see Max108 has given specific instructions to many other users, and gets them to move some other unsupported / third party files they may have on their Macs. The above two were the only ones I need to move.

Then removed FileVault Encryption following the instructions I found here:
https://derflounder.wordpress.com/2...ecrypt-your-filevault-2-encrypted-boot-drive/

Booted all good! El Capitan running.

GREAT WORK! BEEN LOOKING FOR A SOLUTION FOR THE PAST 3-4 WEEKS AND NOTHING WORKED UNTIL I FOLLOWED AND DID THE ABOVE.... MANAGED TO LOG IN FOR THE FIRST TIME IN A COUPLE OF MONTHS AND NOW RUNNING UPDATES.... HOPEFULLY SHOULD BE OK FROM HERE ON... THANKS EVER SO MUCH

cool11

macrumors 68000
Sep 3, 2006
I have filevault always disabled. Never used it.
But, el capitan does not finish installation properly.
Apple logo screen stuck.
What is the fix for this?

cool11

macrumors 68000
Sep 3, 2006
New update today. But will it be a proper installation and then boot, or it will stuck again?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.