El Capitan worth it?

Discussion in 'OS X El Capitan (10.11)' started by macbook123, Jul 27, 2015.

1. macbook123 macrumors 68000

I'm wondering whether it's worth spending the $99 on El Capitan to make my Macbook faster. Has anybody here tried? There seems to be no educational discount.

2. maylen macrumors member

Wait... how is it not free for you? All the recent OS X were free for everyone

3. batting1000 macrumors 604

El Capitan won't be out till the fall and will be FREE as OS X updates have been since Mavericks.

4. Falcon9 macrumors member

Falcon9

Download the public beta for free... No need to spend the $99.

5. Ghost31 macrumors 68000

Ghost31

Why are you spending $99 on something that's free. Is the seller a Nigerian prince?

6. redheeler macrumors 603

redheeler

Developer Preview and Public Beta aren't quite the same. Otherwise, :D

7. macbook123 thread starter macrumors 68000

OK, thanks for clarifying. I must have done the wrong Google search yesterday as all roads led to the Dev program. Have any of you installed El Capitan on their Macbook's, and do you consider the benefits to be worth the bugs with it?

8. cmjars macrumors 6502

Yes for me it was worth it.

9. PeterKG macrumors 6502

El Capitan runs beautifully on my MacBook, and I haven't encountered my bugs. Be sure to install the latest public beta.

10. unixunderground macrumors member

I would definitely avoid it unless you are very technically inclined.
    It´s still full of bugs, and if you want to downgrade, it´s not a straightforward procedure for the average user.

I used it myself for a couple of days, and though good looking, it´still quite unstable and half the apps I use weren´t compatible yet.

11. Dayv macrumors 6502

I'm running the beta, but only because some people reported it fixed connectivity problems similar to the ones I've had. If you can, you're probably better off waiting for the official public release in a couple months.

12. mattopotamus macrumors G5

mattopotamus

It runs much smoother than yosemite. Even as a beta, I prefer it.

13. bcaslis macrumors 68020

While the underlying OS is faster and better for the MacBook, there is no denying it's a beta. I'm running the developer previews and DP4 (which I think is about the same as PB2) was so bad I had to take it off. Lots of bugs, such as closing a full screen app left a dead space in mission control that you needed to manually close. DP5 fixes a number of these bugs but Time Machine backups are now not working.

Personally, if your MacBook is your main machine, it would be extremely foolish to install the beta or developer preview, each new release has it's own set of problems.

14. fisherking macrumors 603

fisherking

am loving it on my macbook pro, but yes...it's still a beta. if you have any doubts, wait for the official version...

15. Ulenspiegel macrumors 68030

Ulenspiegel

16. srazz macrumors regular

srazz

Don't install the public beta. Since I can't wait I did this with Yosemite and it was great. For whatever reason this El Capitan public beta has been horrible especially after the last update. System is very unstable and constantly get the running out of application memory dialog box. System has 32GB of memory and its running out with Safari, Messages, VMware, Calendar and Finder open.

17. bbfc macrumors 68030

bbfc

What you are describing is not a known issue.

18. joethemobile macrumors newbie

I only have 8GB on my macbook pro and I have 500mb left with chrome+safari, spotify, dreamweaver and photoshop open and i ddnt even lag ...

19. Cinder6 macrumors 6502

Cinder6

Odds are, it will be fine for you, but double-check the non-working apps list. Also note that updates to the beta can break apps, so if something is working now, it might not in the future. (For me, this most recently happened with Affinity Photo and Affinity Designer. Worked great on B4, but they don't run on B5. The devs say they will have a beta update out tomorrow to fix it, but it's still annoying when it happens. It's a beta, though, so I can't be mad at, well, anyone other than myself.)

20. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

I am having the opposite experience with the PB's. It's been very stable and I've had no memory overruns or system crashes. There have been some bugs and glitches, but nothing for me to lose sleep over.

YMMV