Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

macbook123

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Feb 11, 2006
I'm wondering whether it's worth spending the $99 on El Capitan to make my Macbook faster. Has anybody here tried? There seems to be no educational discount.

maylen

macrumors member
Jan 12, 2011
Wait... how is it not free for you? All the recent OS X were free for everyone

macbook123

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Feb 11, 2006
OK, thanks for clarifying. I must have done the wrong Google search yesterday as all roads led to the Dev program. Have any of you installed El Capitan on their Macbook's, and do you consider the benefits to be worth the bugs with it?

cmjars

macrumors 6502
Jan 6, 2013
OK, thanks for clarifying. I must have done the wrong Google search yesterday as all roads led to the Dev program. Have any of you installed El Capitan on their Macbook's, and do you consider the benefits to be worth the bugs with it?

Yes for me it was worth it.

Reactions: Jetcat3

PeterKG

macrumors 6502
May 2, 2003
El Capitan runs beautifully on my MacBook, and I haven't encountered my bugs. Be sure to install the latest public beta.

Reactions: Jetcat3

unixunderground

macrumors member
Feb 2, 2011
I would definitely avoid it unless you are very technically inclined.
It´s still full of bugs, and if you want to downgrade, it´s not a straightforward procedure for the average user.

I used it myself for a couple of days, and though good looking, it´still quite unstable and half the apps I use weren´t compatible yet.

Reactions: Dayv

Dayv

macrumors 6502
Aug 18, 2009
I'm running the beta, but only because some people reported it fixed connectivity problems similar to the ones I've had. If you can, you're probably better off waiting for the official public release in a couple months.

Reactions: simonsi

bcaslis

macrumors 68020
Mar 11, 2008
While the underlying OS is faster and better for the MacBook, there is no denying it's a beta. I'm running the developer previews and DP4 (which I think is about the same as PB2) was so bad I had to take it off. Lots of bugs, such as closing a full screen app left a dead space in mission control that you needed to manually close. DP5 fixes a number of these bugs but Time Machine backups are now not working.

Personally, if your MacBook is your main machine, it would be extremely foolish to install the beta or developer preview, each new release has it's own set of problems.

Reactions: simonsi

srazz

macrumors regular
Jun 15, 2010
Don't install the public beta. Since I can't wait I did this with Yosemite and it was great. For whatever reason this El Capitan public beta has been horrible especially after the last update. System is very unstable and constantly get the running out of application memory dialog box. System has 32GB of memory and its running out with Safari, Messages, VMware, Calendar and Finder open.

bbfc

macrumors 68040
Oct 22, 2011
Newcastle, England.
Don't install the public beta. Since I can't wait I did this with Yosemite and it was great. For whatever reason this El Capitan public beta has been horrible especially after the last update. System is very unstable and constantly get the running out of application memory dialog box. System has 32GB of memory and its running out with Safari, Messages, VMware, Calendar and Finder open.
What you are describing is not a known issue.

joethemobile

macrumors newbie
Jun 13, 2015

I only have 8GB on my macbook pro and I have 500mb left with chrome+safari, spotify, dreamweaver and photoshop open and i ddnt even lag ...

Cinder6

macrumors 6502a
Jul 9, 2009
Odds are, it will be fine for you, but double-check the non-working apps list. Also note that updates to the beta can break apps, so if something is working now, it might not in the future. (For me, this most recently happened with Affinity Photo and Affinity Designer. Worked great on B4, but they don't run on B5. The devs say they will have a beta update out tomorrow to fix it, but it's still annoying when it happens. It's a beta, though, so I can't be mad at, well, anyone other than myself.)

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
I am having the opposite experience with the PB's. It's been very stable and I've had no memory overruns or system crashes. There have been some bugs and glitches, but nothing for me to lose sleep over.

YMMV

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.