El Capitan

GingerUK

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 25, 2015
Brighton, UK
Firstly, sorry if this is in the wrong place but if a mod can move it I'd be grateful!

I have just downloaded and installed El Capitan (from Yosemite) on my MacBook Air 13" ... great except I can now not access my old login or any of the files I KNOW are still sitting here on my hard drive. When I start up I get the usual little pic of me and I login with my usual password. After a few secs I get the normal me and guest logins but now I have to sign in with my apple id and find a lovely El Capitan background and nice clean desktop and NOTHING in finder.

I assume I've screwed up with iCloud in some way.... what's happened? How can I get back to my files? I know they are there still... I'm confused!

Any ideas appreciated

GingerUK

Last edited:

KiwiAdventure

Suspended
Dec 7, 2010
New Zealand
Firstly, sorry if this is in the wrong place but if a mod can move it I'd be grateful!

I have just downloaded and installed El Capitan (from Yosemite) on my iPad Air. 13" ... great except I can now not access my old login or any of the files I KNOW are still sitting here on my hard drive. When I start up I get the usual little pic of me and I login with my usual password. After a few secs I get the normal me and guest logins but now I have to sign in with my apple id and find a lovely El Capitan background and nice clean desktop and NOTHING in finder.

I assume I've screwed up with iCloud in some way.... what's happened? How can I get back to my files? I know they are there still... I'm confused!

Any ideas appreciated

GingerUK
You may have login as a new user not you original user. Logout and try again

Significant1

macrumors 6502a
Dec 20, 2014
The first logon is filevault. Which need your password to decrypt your storage.

Then it seems like you created a new user, instead of logging into your existing account. Try checking user accounts in system preferences.

GingerUK

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 25, 2015
Brighton, UK
Well I never did get to the bottom of this, the more I tried the worse things got. I have had to do afresh install on a clean drive but now El Capitan is running great and my laptop is like new. Thank God for the cloud, all my pics were saved :)

Thanks for trying to help

GingerUK