el capitano broke my macbook?

Discussion in 'OS X El Capitan (10.11)' started by Jiafey, Oct 1, 2015.

1. Jiafey macrumors newbie

Jiafey

hi! I really need help, i updated my macbook (pro retina 13" mid 2014) from OS X Yosemite to OS X El Capitano 10hours ago. It was working fine not after i restarted my laptop. While i was browsing on safari my macbook suddenly hanged(The only app that was running is Safari). I turned it off and right after that it's not working!!! It only shows an image of a folder with a "?". What happened? What should i do?

Attached Files:

2. Tbone999 macrumors member

You can reboot in recovery mode, which should let you boot from the internet and then you can see what's going on with your hard drive or reinstall a system.

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201314

I would first try to reboot holding down that alt/option key, which will allow you to choose to startup from any system partition that may still be available. If that doesn't work, I would go to recovery mode.

http://www.tekrevue.com/tip/mac-startup-options/

Give it a try -- let us know how it turns out.

3. Jiafey thread starter macrumors newbie

Jiafey

Hi tbone999,

Thanks for your reply, i didn't notice i posted it twice. Anyway nothing worked for me, disk utility doesn't show my HD. seems like i need to bring it for repair. Can't contact apple here coz it's a weekend and their hotline's close.

Attached Files:

4. LewisChapman macrumors 6502a

LewisChapman

The only thing I could suggest is resetting the NVRAM by doing the following:
    1. Shut down your Mac.
    2. Locate the following keys on the keyboard: Command (⌘), Option, P, and R.
    3. Turn on your Mac.
    4. Press and hold the Command-Option-P-R keys immediately after you hear the startup sound.
    5. Hold these keys until the computer restarts and you hear the startup sound for a second time.
    6. Release the keys.
    If this does not work then this is a trip to the Apple Store (with a Genius appointment) unfortunately since your OS is no longer detecting the primary disk and your Retina Macbook is really not user operable.

5. Jiafey thread starter macrumors newbie

Jiafey

Hi LewisChapman,

Resetting the NVRAM didn't work as well, it still shows the flashing ? Folder after the 2nd startup sound. Anyway thanks!