Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Do you experience lag or high ping

• Total voters

TitaniumTiti

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 10, 2014
Hi, am I the only one experiencing super high ping under the new OS X el captain? Under Windows same machine and same connection everything is fine. Occurred to me for 2 different games. Seem like network stack is broken again in OS X. Can we just have the network stack of X.6 back plz, no more of those buggy non sense "improved" network services?

TitaniumTiti

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 10, 2014
How do you define "super high"? My pings are about the same.

Maybe ping www.google.com and see if it is a OSX issue or a games issue.

In League f Legends, the ping is about 30-33 ms but sometime the ping suddenly climb to 500-1700ms for a 4-5 seconds. The FPS is steady at 60 capped, so no drop frame, 12 Go of memory no other application is started. Don't have this problem under Windows. Same internet connection, same hardware. I also have this in World of Tank, which is also steady under Windows. I try to disable the ack delay (make sure they didn't not reintroduce the ack delay bug again) but no joy there.

I use the WiFi connection, I should try the ethernet connection directly to see if it's the Wifi stack or the TCP/IP stack that cause problems.

cruisin

macrumors 6502a
Apr 1, 2014
Canada
Apparently OSX has some stupid power saving feature on network streams that are not continuous and will put the network quickly to sleep. http://apple.stackexchange.com/ques...ook-pro-slow-and-variable-compared-to-windows. This sort of sounds like what you have, except >500ms ping seems a bit odd. Even so, this should detect things like games and turn itself off, as you really won't be saving that much power.

The command they give auto detects your router:
ping -i 0.2 `netstat -nr | grep -m 1 '^default' | awk '{print $2;}'`

So you essentially open terminal, run the command to perpetually ping your router, and essentially you will be good to go.

ajcadoo

macrumors 6502
Sep 17, 2011
San Diego, CA
There are multiple League bugs being reported for El Capitan. I can no longer launch the game at all, and others are having a wide range of issues. Riot is more or less aware. Check out the Report a Bug forums for League.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.