Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

thedeske

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 17, 2013
Enough is Enough - after dealing with what I normally solve in past updates, I launched Super Duper and cloned 10.10.5 back onto my Late 2013 Macbook Pro. I was 2 weeks or so into the the new OS, but I can't have so many missing items on the puter and live.

Contacts missing and no recovery solution, Double booting and a sudden slow startup, Can't sign in to "Pick an Item" etc etc.

Life is short & I'll wait. It's possible it's a machine specific problem. Fine, but I rely on my Mac for business and business doesn't like Poop in the system ;)

This is the first time in years I couldn't "Get Past" a few new system glitches.
All is well

Spink10

Suspended
Nov 3, 2011
Oklahoma
Enough is Enough - after dealing with what I normally solve in past updates, I launched Super Duper and cloned 10.10.5 back onto my Late 2013 Macbook Pro. I was 2 weeks or so into the the new OS, but I can't have so many missing items on the puter and live.

Contacts missing and no recovery solution, Double booting and a sudden slow startup, Can't sign in to "Pick an Item" etc etc.

Life is short & I'll wait. It's possible it's a machine specific problem. Fine, but I rely on my Mac for business and business doesn't like Poop in the system ;)

This is the first time in years I couldn't "Get Past" a few new system glitches.
All is well
You sure all is well?

Riwam

macrumors 65816
Jan 7, 2014
Basel, Switzerland

All is well
Thanks God for the invention of Cloning! :)
I did the same but had not the nerves to wait more than a couple of days...
And it is CERTAINLY NOT any "machine specific problem" you were suffering but rather a "OS specific problem". :(
Ed

CoastalOR

macrumors 68040
Jan 19, 2015
Oregon, USA
All is well
Super duper does not clone the Recovery partition (command+r) so you probably have a mismatch (El Capitan Recovery on a Yosemite system).

thedeske

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 17, 2013
Super duper does not clone the Recovery partition (command+r) so you probably have a mismatch (El Capitan Recovery on a Yosemite system).

Yes I know. For the moment, my "Recovery" is a new bootable clone.

Queen6

macrumors G4
Potentially it could be this specific Mac, equally I don't see how, especially as these posts are growing. My 2014 13" rMBP was best put as a disaster on 10.11

First install or 10.11 was an upgrade of 10.10.5, basically failed due to Apple`s Mail crashing & deleting SMTP settings unable to restore without hard boot, followed by more of the same, duplication of mail accounts. Basically the application was in an unusable state. Accounts are MS Exchange, MS Outlook, Google, iCloud. Preview consuming enormous amounts of RAM to the point of slowing the application, in time the system. AirDrop total failure. General reduction of UI perforce over 10.10.5, felt rather like the whole OS was breaking. System Preferences extremely slow to open, Dock icon would bounce for 10-15 seconds, double booting. Many other small random issues (10.11.1 resolved specific issues with the Installer, Mail & Preview and of course most importantly more emojis :rolleyes:)

Subsequent installs of 10.11.1 were clean, no Migration Assistant, no Time Machine, SSD wiped clean; failed Safari unable to install extensions, Preview behaviour unstable crashing etc. network performance significantly diminished over Wi-Fi, same issue as above with System Preferences. Mail very slow unsure if related to network performance or the application, seemed to be continuously downloading content. At this point I simply stopped...

I tried two clean installs the second with no third party applications, extensions etc. same 10.11 installer upgraded my daughters Early 2011 15" MBP with no apparent issue, equally her usage is very different to mine, as the system was mine the software package is basically the same. If I had to put it simply; Installing El Capitan 10.11 is currently a "crapshoot" it may or may not work, based on your hardware/software. If you choose to proceed ensure that the system is fully backed up and not solely with Time Machine, or it may well get ugly fast.

Hardware 2014 13" rMBP 2.8Ghz, 512 SSD, 8GB RAM - stock Apple system has exhibited zero issues (12 months) prior to 10.11 and is employed in an engineering role seeing significant usage globally.

Rolled back to 10.10.5 on a clean install for no other reason than to validate hardware & software load, as opposed to running the backup (SuperDuper). Zero issues, which speaks volumes as all the issues indicated above with 10.11 are all related solely to Apple...

With Apple`s current update cycle it`s unlikely that 10.11 will be stable for some until the .4/.5 release and then the cycle repeats. Many struggled with issues on 10.10, personally I didn't have any significant problems with my Mac`s, equally I don't want to be in that situation on 10.11 I am planning to replace my 2012 15" rMB on the Skylake release of the rMBP, however I am now more cautious as I don't want a Mac with a underdeveloped OS, I need stability & security.

Q-6

Iamanamma

macrumors newbie
Dec 22, 2016
Warren, Ohio
I bought a refurb Mac Mini that came pre-installed with El Capitan. From the start I knew there was a problem, because the transfer of old data from my old Mini kept stalling. El Capitan consistently drops my wifi connection after a short period of time. I bought a new router, same problem. I tried all the fixes I could find on the internet, including replacing the preferences, still have problems. I ended up throwing in the towel and moving the Mac closer to my router and dragging out an ethernet cable. That solution worked. I can't say I am very impressed with El Capitan's handling of Mail, either. If I move something into a folder, it poofs and I can't find it, even by using Spotlight. It's the most frustrating Mac OS I have ever had to deal with.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.