El Gato sold EyeTV!?!

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Wolfpup, Mar 7, 2016.

1. Wolfpup macrumors 68030

Maybe this is old news but I was utterly shocked to notice that El Gato had sold EyeTV to a company I'd never heard of, Geniatech.

To my mind it's bizarre, as the rest of their products seem incredibly lame compared to the EyeTV stuff. Not sure how good the new company is...

Also, all their products on their site now only seem to work in Europe!

I love TiVo, but I always liked the idea of El Gato as a possible backup :-/

2. cube, Mar 7, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 30, 2016

cube macrumors G5

3. Richdmoore macrumors 65816

Richdmoore

Eyetv has been on life support for a long time, in my opinion. I eventually switched to a TiVo setup, but I would love to be able to record/watch tv on my Mac again if needed.

Hopefully this new company will reinvigorate eyetv, allow multiple types of tuners at the same time, and allow cablecard compatible tuners to work and other enhancements I would like. I guess we will see if they do more than maintance releases for the US market.

4. satcomer macrumors 603

satcomer

Well you could get an external device like the HDHomeRun DVR when it comes online later this year! One model Prime will support Cable Cards if you still get cable.

5. Wolfpup thread starter macrumors 68030

Huh, I'd not heard of that , and am bookmarking it. I love Tivo, but you never know when you might need another solution...

6. saulinpa macrumors 6502